settel

DK newbie

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 20, 2015
It's very individual from flock to flock, but if they get enough light, the right feed and are not exposed to stress, I think two weeks is pretty average for new birds to start laying.
2:5 is a bad ratio though. 1:5 is good - each male should have 4-7 females and there shouldn't be more than one male in each enclosure.

quail777

Hatching
Mar 11, 2018
It's very individual from flock to flock, but if they get enough light, the right feed and are not exposed to stress, I think two weeks is pretty average for new birds to start laying.
2:5 is a bad ratio though. 1:5 is good - each male should have 4-7 females and there shouldn't be more than one male in each enclosure.
thx for you help so if I have 7 birds 2males and 5 females how do I sperate them

feedman77

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Each male will be different during breeding.

I had a male that would cover 10 hens without issues he was a very aggessive breeder.

Another roo I had was a timid breeder and about 4 hens was his max.

So if it was me. I'd place 1 male and 2 females in a pen. 1 and 3 in another. Watch to see how the males are with the females.
That is if I separated them.

But there is also just leave the 2 males in with the hens. Watch them if there is aggression between males or hens are over bred then separate them. By removing a male.

At times they create a pecking order like chickens. So they live in harmony.

Top Bottom