Settin chicken eggs tonight! 8-4-11

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
I'll be setting 39 chicken eggs tonight as soon as my incubator heats up.

I've got bantum cochins, polishes, 1 bantam RIR mix, welsummers, golden lakenvelders, black sexlinks, blue andalusians, blue laced red wynadottes, and easter eggers.

21 days will be August 25th!

Any hatching buddies?

Official Candling Activity! 8/12/11
If you haven't candled already let's do so and record what each egg looks like.

This is how I did mine. I numbered each egg on top as well as wrote what the egg is so I can see it from the viewin window. Then on a piece of paper I did like this:
1. Bantam Cochin-dark on fat end, can see veins and embryo
2. Golden Lakenvelder-completely light colored. Looks kinda porous too. Pretty sure it's a no-go.
3. etc etc etc

After recording how each egg looks put it in one of these catagories:
*Excellent- can see definate veins and embryo (can also be in this category if you think your pretty sure you can see an embryo but it's not 100%)
*Good/Alright- can see some veins, no embryo visible or barely visable
*Not sure- dark on fat end, can't really see much, or egg is dark colored so hard to candle
*Extreme Doubt/Dead- reserve this category for eggs that you extremely doubtfull about their progress or that you are completely sure it's dead or never developed at all

After you decide which category the eggs go it, list them for us here. You can do this in one of these ways:

-By breed like so:
Cochins-
4 excellent, 1 good, 2 not sure, 1 dead
Golden Lakenvelder-
2 excellent, 3 good, 1 not sure, 1 doubful/dead
etc etc etc

OR

-By category like so:
Excellent-
4 Cochins
2 Golden Lakenvelders
1 Blue andalusian
etc etc etc

Then at the end you can put like this:

Excellent: 14 total
Good: 4 total
etc etc etc

Progress
15 out of 30 eggs are in excellent/good shape as of right now. etc

8/15/11 Let us know when your scheduled for lockdown, what kind of eggs you've got and your due date

Last edited:
as soon as i get my shipped eggs on the 6th ill join! good luck
thumbsup.gif

ok so i put 6 with my brooder and really new to chicken world so can you explain what you mean by setting up buddy? sorry about the question lol

<3 lucyboo

p.s. i would love to join but dont know what it means lol

All it is is people who are all putting eggs in their incubator or under a broody hen near the same date. So we can all discuss how things are going and share the excitement of when the eggs hatch.
smile.png

I just came back from my neighbor's house. She gave me 12 eggs already and just gave me 4 more, 2 cochin and 3 cuckoo maran, to add so I'll have a full incubator. Also I forgot that I also have Wheaten Marans eggs as well!

As soon as I'm done on here I'll check the incubator and see how it's warming up and if it's ready I'll put the eggs in.

I just set tonight too..

I have 3 EE's, 3 EE\\BO crosses, Unless one of my banty roos were able to do the job on one of my BO or my EE hen (?) and 10 mixed banty eggs that will be crosses between mille fleur duccle, silver duckwing OEG, red pyle, silver sebright (maybe golden sebright if she has been laying) just maybe I happened to grab some pure duccle and sebright eggs for the incubator. This is my first hatch so lets see.

Anyone know if a banty and heavy breed can cross?

I have a still air incubator (little giant brand) anyone have any experience with these?

I will be your setting buddy.. I will post pics after first fertility check if I have any viable.

Also, upon cooking a BO egg today, I ran across a double yolk... Do these produce twins ever? Or do they not survive?

Thanks, and good luck on your hatch!

I think I've heard that double yokers don't usually survive but I'm not sure. Also I'm sure it's possible a heavy breed could mate with a bantam. It's probably a smaller chance than a normal breeding but I'm sure it can happen.

I'm worried about my incubator temp. The instructions that came with it said it's automatically preset to 100*. It came with a thermometer and it also said that the incubator's internal thermometer is more acurate than the other one and to disregard it unless your hatch goes wrong and then change the incubator's present thermometer for the next hatch. Well the little thermometer is reading 101*...... I went ahead and adjusted by the switch that will change it by 1/2 to 1 degree because I figured if the little thermometer is even close to correct then it needs to be turned down and I've heard it's supposed to be 99.5* anyways, not 100*. I hope I'm doing the right thing..... I really don't want to just see how the hatch goes and adjust for next time when every egg may not hatch. Then the poor things are wasted and I have to find more eggs.

Anybody know how much of a temperature difference is acceptable? I've heard past 103* and they don't have much chance but what about 1/2 to 1.5 degree?

I should be setting eggs next Wed or Thursday that I'm receiving my mail and I can't wait!!! Good luck to everyone who's setting now. I'll be watching how it goes for you!
smile.png

Ok I've had some replies to a post about my temp and I think I'm ok. I adjusted slightly cooler and I think this temp range will be safer than before.

If the little thermostat is right that would put me at around 99.5-101.5* but if the internal thermostat is correct it would put me at about 98.5-100*. This seems like a safer range than somewhere between 99.5 and 101*

Back
Top Bottom