Setting 28 eggs tonight, feel free to join me.

Mmmaddie13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Berthoud, CO
Hello all.

It's been a while since I've hatched, and I've always seemed to be disappointed with my hatch rates with shipped eggs. I am REALLY hoping for a good hatch this time, and I am happy that I am a part of this forum where there is continuous advice and support when needed.
Anyway! I got 28 EE eggs from BYC member bargain, I am VERY excited for these babies, and right now they're resting - pointy end down - in a room that stays around 60-65 degrees F. I'm planning on setting putting them in the 'bator at 9:00 tonight. Please let me know if anyone is setting today as well.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Maddie

Great I found a new home! As soon as I get home from school I am setting 41 eggs in my LG still air. The father will be either a Auburn colored Java or a Barred Rock.
Mothers could be Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, RIR, Red Sex-links, Black Sex-links, Silver Laced Wyandottes or Java.

This is my second round. Last time I was 12 for 35. This time I raised the still air off the floor for better air flow. I raised the temp from 99.5 to 101 (maybe 101.5?) I have a better guage of the humidity and I think my fertility rate could be a bit higher.

The 12 I hatched about 2 weeks ago are doing great!

51397_chicks_and_craiglist_march_001.jpg

Good luck Maddie!

I will be watchin!

Awesome!
smile.png
Glad to know I'll have someone with me the whole way and I hope you feel the same!
Best of luck to you as well! Sounds like you'll have some good lookin' babies!

Well they're all set and the incubator's warming back up (almost back to 100), and something just occurred to me. I have 28 eggs in there, no automatic egg turner, and I feel like -being how I am- I will take FOR EVER to turn those eggs every day. I'm assuming it won't be too big of a deal since in nature, the mother has to get off the eggs every once in a while, which temporarily loses heat. But I don't know. I think I'm just worrying to much. Being a "mother" is hard! And I barely just started!
smile.png

Goodnight BYC!

Ok. So, the wind has been BAD lately, and the power went out for a few seconds last night, and it MAY have gone out (or will later) today even. But I am at school and there's nothing I can do. I'm sure it'll be fine.

It's only been a day and a half, and I'm already dying to see these babies! How do you keep your sanity?
wink.png

Great! Wind is coming my way! Like we don't get enough of that;)

They will be fine....now that I have done this, it is much easier the second time around....way lest to worry about!

Mine have been there for almost 48 hours and my two thermomitors suck! One says 102 and the other says 99. But they were the two that came with the bator and the turner and they are both cheap!

Still thinking about the Acu-something at wal-mart that check both temp and humidity. Would be nice!

great, thanks and glad you asked. I have been helping a friend out in the country rebuild his chicken coops.
we have been collecting chickens for 4 months to go along with what he and his grandmother already had.

"my" splash ameraucana rooster over one pen with a clean faced wheaten ameraucana hen, a light blue rock hen and a big blue cochin hen, they laid eggs 1-11.
"grandma rita's" has a mean old black auracana rooster over 3 white leghorn/eastereggers with pea combs- eggs 12-23
and "rob and emmy's" mongrel free range herd gave us eggs 24-31, 32 and 33 are bantam, de uccle (sp)

Back
Top Bottom