Setting damaged eggs

dancingbear

Songster
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
South Central KY
I just set a batch of eggs with a high number of ruptered air cells, "splattered" air cells, (the ones that are mis-shapen, sort of like an amoeba), and some with cracks I repaired with candle wax, that also had splattered air cells.

I've read that when setting damaged eggs, it's best to let them incubate for a little while without turning, maybe the first three days in the 'bator? Any experience with that? I want to do everything I can to maximize the chances that these eggs will hatch.

Once I start turning them, would it be better to use the auto turner, or put them in carton bottoms, and tilt the cartons, so they aren't in constant motion? I appreciate your opinions, and reasons for what you suggest. My thanks to all.

I am also interested in the answer to your question. I just set some Java eggs that I received, shipped eggs of course. They look like they have an "amoeba" air cell. I'm not optimistic, but I stuck them in anyway. Now I have a little more hope...
fl.gif

I recently got 3 eggs with bad air cells, two very large and misshapen, the third detached. I didn't find out until after I'd set them that it would help if I didn't turn them for 3 days. However, I have one chick growing perfectly. The other two were clear.
I've also read that ones with damaged aircells need help hatching, anyone know if this is true and the reason for it?

ETA: Mine are in an R-Com 3 which automatically turns the eggs every 2/3 hours (?)

Last edited:
I recently posted something on this. I just learned about it myself. I am trying it now as i have nothing to loose.

Here is a little tid bit about shipped eggs. You can take it for what it's worth but i am going to try it. I have nothing to loose because the eggs i got have air cell damage.

Hey Rod the air cell trick worked like a charm. I didnt turn them for
the first seven days and then just kind of moved the top of the egg
left one time and then right the next time. Hatched out 6 out of 12
which I thought was great for eggs that had air cells that moved all
over the place inside the egg. Thanks!

I knew it would work as I've done it here numerous times over the years but some people don't believe it. If they're really damaged. I'll leave them set in the upright position for 10 to 12 days. By that time the embryo is tougher and can take more stress. Glad it worked for you. Rod

I know that some like to wax a cracked egg. I will not knowingly put a cracked egg in the bator, because I don't like the mess it can make.
Not only that, you stand the chance of losing the hold batch to bacteria. You have to figure out for yourself if a few cracked eggs are worth your whole hatch. That is what it amounts to. Good luck, which ever way you go.

I agree to a point. I do not use candle wax i use fingernail polish. I think the hot wax will cook the spot where it is dropped. I always candle my eggs and take any bad ones out at about 7 days. I have never had one explode. I also think whatever method you use the key is if you patch an egg you need to to do it asap before any bacteria get in it.

Danny, have you actually done the leaving them upright for as long as 7 to 12 days? Or is this info you've gathered and are about to try it?

I don't think candle wax will cook any of the egg, because I dripped some on my skin while patching the eggs, and it didn't burn me at all. It isn't that hot. Plus a lot of folks have posted pics of wax-repaired eggs, and the chicks they hatched from them. Any wax over the pipping areas, I'll scrape off on day 18, so it doesn't prevent breaking through. (If those show still-good/possibly-good when I candle them)

I wouldn't use nail polish because it contains acetone, which is toxic and carcinogenic.

What was the title of your post? I'd like to look it up.

Thanks for the info!

I am actually trying it now. Like a dummy i have spent a lot of money on eggs. It's all things that people don't sell birds just eggs and i can't find at the shows and stuff. Anyway out of 6 shipments all had air cell damage to different degrees. Some of them don't have snowballs chance of hatching so i am trying on most of them and a lot of them seem to be forming good so far. It's like this if never try new thing we don't know if it works.I have been trying to help folks with their hatching but for some reason people are afraid to look outside of the box for answers to their problems.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=169177
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=170507

Quote:
Could the heat from the candle wax be effective in killing bacteria??
I've used nail polish with exotic eggs, with mixed results. Never tried candle wax.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom