Setting eggs 4-3-14

So Cool! Now I really can't wait for Sunday!! Going out of town for a few hours on Saturday for Goddaughter's 1st birthday and I'm really hoping nothing happens while we're gone. No one will be home for at least 8 hours and I always want to check them every 5 minutes, UGH. Ok, I just want to stare at them and watch the eggs wiggle around, LOL.

I have 5 peeping now. One has broken through a good amount and we can see the top of it's head and its beak through the torn membrane. Another has a little piece of shell off and a hole through the membrane. Two others just have chipped shells and the 5th has broken a piece of shell off, but the membrane is intact. On that one the membrane looks tan/ light brown which I have read usually means it is dry. I filled both trays of the incubator on the evening of day 18 before lockdown, but they both look pretty dry now. I was able to get warm water in through the hole in the top with a straw, but I am wondering about the one egg with tan membrane. Should I try to drop warm water on top of that part of the membrane or leave it be?

What is your humidity set at and is it possible it could be some dried blood from pipping? I had that happen with my very first chick and thought it was dry too but just blood drying. She still had a ways to go before being ready to hatch.

What is your humidity set at and is it possible it could be some dried blood from pipping? I had that happen with my very first chick and thought it was dry too but just blood drying. She still had a ways to go before being ready to hatch.

I wasn't tracking humidity. I was just following the incubator directions- keeping the outside trough filled day 1-18 and then both the center and outside filled on the evening of day 18 before lockdown.

Maybe it is dried blood. The other eggs whose membranes I can see do not look like that so I *think* their humidity was ok.

First baby was born! It took about 3 1/2 hours from it's first pip until it was out. It is a loud little bugger and is moving around more than I expected :) Seems to be happy and healthy! Hoping it gets a friend soon!

Awesome! Sounds like your doing good so far, just keep the trays filled and I believe you should be ok. I have a hydrometer/ thermometer in mine to keep track.

Two babies now! One of them was an egg I was pretty sure was a goner before, but left it in just in case. Nice surprise!

I believe you'll find yourself less stressed if you do. Could you post some pics of them? My hatch day isn't till Sunday and that he anticipation is making me almost jittery.

This was earlier. We've had a third hatch since then and four pipped.

Sunday will be here before you know it :) Waiting is torture though I know!

Back
Top Bottom