setting eggs 6/27/12! Hatch-a-long? CHART included

Both Buckeyes hatched... one hatched with an unsealed umbilicus and a huge blood clot... it's not going to make it :( But the other one is A-OK.

3 OEs are out, 1 is zipping and 2 are externally pipped. 1 hasn't made progress yet.

1 Marans is zipping and the other is ext. pipped.
This post just happened to catch my eye and I want to offer a suggestion for your little one with the unsealed umbilicus!

I've had success with keeping them in the incuator on a damp paper towel isolated ftom the other chicks. What I use to isolate them is a small plastic contaier that fruit comes in... the clear kind with little vent holes. My favorite is the little pint container we buy blueberries in as it keeps the chick from moving too much. (You'll have to look around and see what you have.) Then I fold up a paper towel to fit the bottom and soak it with warm water, squeeze it just enough so it's not dripping and put it back in the container. (The moist towel doesn't stick to the blood clot.) I put the chick in it and return it to the incubator. In a way, this kind of simulates being back in the egg for the chick and they can continue to absorb what should have been absorbed before hatching.

I had one hatch where temps ran high and I had several chicks to "practice" this technique on. While it wasn't 100% successful, I certainly saved several of them.

Of course, you're in the middle of your hatch and will have to consider when you can safely open your bator without risking the other chicks!

Hope this helps!

9 hatched one died after pipping. I had a chick that would fall on it's back and it couldn't get up until I flipped it over again. It drowned last night. I'm heartbroken.

Back
Top Bottom