Setting eggs anyone want to join?

I am convinced that the farmer that sent me the eggs literally gave me one each. It is soooooo easy to tell them all apart. And strangely, they each seem to pretty much match their names, even though I literally just went down the list.

th.gif
What a darling picture! Those are some fluffy cute chicks. Love the mixed colors in the lighter ones!

I still have three that did nothing. It's my day 23 and I'm just waiting a couple of days to make sure. But no movement, no peeping, no pips. I have 6 very lively, happy and apparently healthy chicks. I couldn't be happier.
how many eggs did you start with again? i also had 6 hatch but 2 died.

well i was cleaning my incubator of all the gunk that the chicks left after hatching and in the troughs that i put water in for the incubation i noticed white residue and knew actually what it was, it was dried salt from my water softner. could this have played a role in hatch success and do any of you use soft water?

AZ, I never thought about the salt! There has to be a lot of people that use that for soft water. That wouldn't cause a problem, would it?!

I would have to say water softener wouldn't cause a problem. Although I have hatched several eggs and I have used the salt water for the humidity and yes, there's that white residue on the bowl each time. Sometimes it stick to the side of the bowl and won't come off, in that case, i put the bowl in the dishwash for several washing, it doesn't completely come out but.. I know it's cleaned LOL

Hmm, a bottle of distilled water would keep the salt from being an issue, as well as keeping the mineral deposits off the bowls and incubators. Thank goodness I have well water!

Oooh, well water! I used to drink well water when I was a child living in VA. I can almost taste it now..love it!

im going to try bottled water next time and see what happens. my theory is maybe the salt had a little to do with my hatch rate because salt brings out water thus make my egg loose to much fluid before hatching. guess it cant hurt to try also going to get a fan kit for better air circulation.

Back
Top Bottom