Setting eggs for Super Bowl, Anyone With Me?

jktrahan

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Sweet Lake
Ok, I've been saving eggs all week and have been planning to set them tomorrow, Sunday 2/6/11, not sure what time. Have not researched why everyone chooses a time yet? I've been busy today building and testing my DIY ice chest incubator and just realized, ..... tomorrow is the SUPER BOWL !!! what at perfect day to set some eggs!

Anyone else?

I am still resisting.

I do have an egg tray filled with eggs, they are all labeled and ready.

Incubator is still off.

We will see.

I will break soon.

I've got 9 so far, hope to have 3 more tomorrow, can they go straight from the nest box to the incubator? This is my first flock and I've got 2 bantam cochin and 1 Polish breeding with a nice size bantam old english roo. Should produce some interesting results, but I can't wait till my silkie roo's start breeding for some truely interesting results

Well, I'm one week into the incubation and just candled all 10 eggs again. All have very active embryos inside. Since all 10 are fertile and have developed into embryos how many can should I expect to mature in to full chicks and hatch? All 10?

wow i just found this....I set mine on superbowl......this is my first hatch....i put all EE in there.....most look great some i can't tell because there so dark...so i will let them stay and hope for the best
fl.gif
i am hoping for at least 50% hatch....I don't want to get my hopes up....good luck on your hatch....

Ok, I was turning the eggs for the last time this morning and could hear chirping coming from one of them, or a few. I think one, the Polish egg, may not be alive anymore
sad.png
They go into lockdown tonight.

I set on SuperBowl Sunday and locked down yesterday. Finally got the humidity to an even 52%. We're having a major snow storm this weekend. The whole town is closed down, trees and powerlines down, even a firetruck on it's side.....I'm PRAYING the power stays on. No zipping, pipping or anything. We do have a small gas powered generator that we have ready if we lose power and we have a big one that could run the house but it's up in the barn and my DH (you should know that the "D" is not for "Dear" right now) doesn't want to hook it up to the truck and bring it down unless we need it! Guess he doesn't understand how quickly the temp drops!

I'm so nervous! I don't know if this incubating is for me......
barnie.gif
wee.gif
pop.gif
hide.gif

Last edited:
Well we checked incubator when we got home around 4 pm and did not notice any pipped. We were outside working on a new rabbit hutch till about 6: 30 pm. When we came in we had at least 5 out of 10 pipped. 1st chick roared out of the egg and hatched at 7:15 pm.

Back
Top Bottom