Is this chicken egg normal and are my quail eggs ok?

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
Hello and good afternoon from Italy, I have been incubating some quail eggs and a chicken egg doing a little experiment. So practically I did a test to see how lazy you can be when incubating eggs and the hatch rate that comes with this idea. So I did a dry hatch and I never tired the eggs. Lucky they all started to develop and are now all on day 16. I also was candling the eggs after day 11 and I thought everything was fine until I got to the chicken egg it seems under developed. I then candled today and it still seems like it's developing slower. Can anyone tell me if it's actually underdeveloped and is that a dude affect of not turning eggs or is it something else? My humidity had been about 34-45 RH the whole incubation and now I've increased it to 60-68 RH, is that ok? Any help is very appreciated! 😁

Last edited:
This is the egg on day 16 which is today.
PXL_20230630_152549066.jpg

I also see it moving a ton!

Hi! I can't really see from the picture but it doesn't look very under developed to me. It may be deformed or something as a result of not turning it? Another thing you could check is the temperature - is it too low (this would cause slow development), is your thermometer accurate? Movement is a good sign :). Good luck with your hatch

This is the egg on day 16 which is today.
View attachment 3561098
I also see it moving a ton!
There are quite a few YT videos of quail eggs hatching well without turning. The consensus has become that it is acceptable. But the same can't be said for chicken eggs. If you haven't turned your chicken to this point it is likely most humane to stop the incubation - or prepare yourself to euthanize it. It will likely pip, but that is it.

Quail also should be incubated at a lower RH. 20/40% is appropriate and will hatch around 4 days earlier so you'll be in a pickle there as well.

There are quite a few YT videos of quail eggs hatching well without turning. The consensus has become that it is acceptable. But the same can't be said for chicken eggs. If you haven't turned your chicken to this point it is likely most humane to stop the incubation - or prepare yourself to euthanize it. It will likely pip, but that is it.

Quail also should be incubated at a lower RH. 20/40% is appropriate and will hatch around 4 days earlier so you'll be in a pickle there as well.
Ok so it's on day 17 is it still possible to turn it? Also this was just an experiment and I decided to go and pop in two chicken eggs to see what would work and what wouldn't, but if I can di something to save the egg I will. If it's to late to turn it can I do an assisted hatch or maybe a safety hole in the eggs tomorrow? As that would be day 18, the day chicken eggs go into lockdown or maybe day 19? I changed the humidity earlier and it leveled around 42 RH.

Hi! I can't really see from the picture but it doesn't look very under developed to me. It may be deformed or something as a result of not turning it? Another thing you could check is the temperature - is it too low (this would cause slow development), is your thermometer accurate? Movement is a good sign :). Good luck with your hatch
Thank you, I can see a large round looking backwards C shape moving up and down and it seems to be taking up around 45 percent of the red area from where I candled it. Also my temp the whole hatch has been between 34.7-35.6 C sense I'm in Italy and we use Celsius.

Half of the quail eggs are pipping!!! They seem to be okay. I did put some safety holes in the ones that haven't pipped just to help them. Was that a cad Idea I used a tip on a paper clip and made a tiny hole is that bad that's how you make a safety hole right? I did it on the bottom of the egg above the air sac but I didn't hurt the air sac at all.

Also my temp the whole hatch has been between 34.7-35.6 C
I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time, but will go with I respect peoples choice to have their own experiences and adventures. And also, to question the "norm" and find out for themselves!

That's kinda low (if accurate).. mine is usually set around 37.5-38 (or 99.5-100.5).. in a forced air incubator for hatching on day 21 with chicken eggs (102 in still air measured at the top of the eggs).. I'd expect some delayed development/hatching.. if they're still viable.

In square bators, even forced air.. warm and cool spots may still exist.. so moving eggs around helps keep development and hatch window tight.

Turning for chicken eggs is important up to about day 14. Beyond that is less so.

The effects of turning or not turning (chicken eggs) are stated on page 35 of the following link.. and specific causes of embryonic mortality according to what day they quit and other hatching anomalies seen start around page 50 or 51..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

RH was fine (if accurate).. but you'll probably wanna bump it back up after the quail are done hatching.

Happy hatching! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time, but will go with I respect peoples choice to have their own experiences and adventures. And also, to question the "norm" and find out for themselves!

That's kinda low (if accurate).. mine is usually set around 37.5-38 (or 99.5-100.5).. in a forced air incubator for hatching on day 21 with chicken eggs (102 in still air measured at the top of the eggs).. I'd expect some delayed development/hatching.. if they're still viable.

In square bators, even forced air.. warm and cool spots may still exist.. so moving eggs around helps keep development and hatch window tight.

Turning for chicken eggs is important up to about day 14. Beyond that is less so.

The effects of turning or not turning (chicken eggs) are stated on page 35 of the following link.. and specific causes of embryonic mortality according to what day they quit and other hatching anomalies seen start around page 50 or 51..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

RH was fine (if accurate).. but you'll probably wanna bump it back up after the quail are done hatching.

Happy hatching! :fl:jumpy:jumpy
Thank you sooo much for so much helpful information, I will boost my temp a bit and I'm happy to announce that I finally got a good photo of a chick hatching. I did check if my incubator is accurate and it is. Also I do know about warm and cold spots and that is why I put the eggs in the center of the incubator where the temp is the best! I'm super excited to hopefully have an army of little fluff nuggets!

Back
Top Bottom