Setting eggs july 13 anyone else setting today, I need a buddy

I am glad there are quite a few here with this hatch day this is going to be fun. It will be handy and a learning tool if we are supposed to do something like the candling and stuff and for lock down day we can share results and tips.
thumbsup.gif
I hope I get atleast a few to hatch.
Chad

I am excited too. I keep checking them and everything seems to be going good temp was 100 I am on the right track i think. someone had said that the incubator will smell bad by hatch time is this true I have mine set up on the bar in the house.
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
If it does the wife is gonna be mad.
lau.gif
:lau:lau:lau
Chad

Ill jump on this wagon with you. Just set 8 Silkie eggs this morning. I have been hatching for more than 4 years, so if anyone has questions, feel free to ask away. What is new is my incubator, so we are on a fledgling run so to speak. Temp is running just over 100, but in the past I have had temperature spikes and came out O.K.
So for all of you new hatching....... If it gets hot outside. Check that temperature, if it is on the rise, take off lid, fan the eggs and move it to a cooler room.
I am new to BYC, thrilled to be here and oh so glad I found it. My name is Tonya and I look forward to hatching with you.
Happy hatching to one and all!
Tonya
jumpy.gif

My incubator never smelled bad. When the chicks hatch and the egg and other debris is in there it has a certain smell, but not rotten. If you get a rotten smell you are supposed to check each egg and remove any that are bad so they don't explode. So far I have never had one smell. Hope that helps keep your wife happy
smile.png

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
I will be happy if she is just quite.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Thanks for the reponse and to everyone joining in I love this site informative, helpful and busy.
thumbsup.gif

Chad

I'm in!!! I got 18 absolutely gorgeous Silkie eggs in the mail from Kelar/Catdance Silkies yesterday. I'll be setting them this afternoon. They look to be in great shape - no cracks and only a couple of loose air cells. These have definitely arrived in the best condition of any of the shipped eggs I've bought this year so I'm thrilled. I've got my fingers crossed for the lavs and porcelains!

I am turning off my incubators for a couple of months. The weather has been so hot the boys aren't jumping the girls so a lot of the eggs aren't fertile. Hoping when the weather gets a little cooler they will get a little more active.

Quote:
I'll join in, put 7 eggs in on the 12th. They were shipped eggs (first time hatching shipped eggs) and two were leaking by yesterday! Eck. Opened them and nothing...must have been injured during transport (they better not have been old eggs!!). Hoping the rest are viable...too soon to tell.

With regards to high humidity. Everything you read scares the buhgeezus out of you. I was having 70% without any water in the 'bator as well. What brought it down for me was simply opening a window in the room. We're in Western Washington, having a cold and wet summer plus we have 3 large fish tanks in the house basically...we have HUMIDITY. When I open just one window, it brings it down to anywhere from 56 - 68%. The range changes daily and through out the day. Our last hatch actually came out too dry! Needed to help because the membranes were too dry. Bumped the humidity up to 75% and the hatch finished itself perfectly. Opening the two little vents actually made the humidity worse.

Oh, it if matters, we have a HovaBator 1588 with a fan.

Nice group.
I have 12 eggs in now and need to stop adding (addicted).

The hens are laying at 50% due to heat so I am going to do a routine worm treatment (wazine) while egg production is down.

This is not my first incubation but I am no expert. This site has helped answer alot of questions.

The last 2 batches I incubated were ducks from a neighbors eggs. I now have 12 ducklings, and 10 adolesants.

Using still air incubator with egg turner. Took two racks out to have room to lay eggs down that pip early.
note: I have had eggs smell while incubating so I got them out fast.

Good luck to all, Scott (Bugg)

Back
Top Bottom