Setting eggs July 6th. Need some hatching buddies. Lets have some fun!

I'll play! I set 20 eggs in the incubator on July 5th, so that's close enough, isn't it? They are mostly Dominiques and Dominique crosses (my roos are all Doms, but I have a few other types of hens).
I just added 7 dominique eggs to my incubator today. :)

I'm half in! Started a hatch, then the power went out, figure I lost most of them but keeping them rolling and adding what I call a "mad hatchers hatch" I'm getting eggs that are old, or refrigerated from folks, adding them to the Winkubator (wine cooler) and running them as well. My daughter dared doubt that some of them would hatch. Since I happen to be one of those weird people who hate rules, for the sake of rules. I spent about of my first year hatching, doing mad hatches... 2,3,4,5 even six week old eggs, sets of refrigerated eggs. Nursing along cracked eggs. Between normal hatches. I ended up with several dozen "improbable" chickens.

Unfortunately Erin wasnt there so now she doubts me... Daughters... So I'm soliciting and buying and begging old eggs, fridge eggs and odd eggs to all go into this hatch. I'll be half with you all and about a week behind as well, yes, it means I am also staggering the hatch. Mishatch's like power outages tend to stretch out hatch dates in any case. I got over freaking about every egg, since almost all are shipped in, I learned to stop worrying so much. It goes, or it doesn't. These hatches are just watching the magic. They often make it despite the weird odds and then it's just neat. It's sad but you keep trying and it works eventually.

So far there are Wheaton Marans, orp and silkie eggs, adding mixed eggs next, and more silkie eggs, and with any luck some ameraucana eggs. Older refrigerated silkie eggs - big smilies on em. Shooting for roughly four dozen, which should be a good thermal mass for the Winkubator.

Good luck to you all! Anyone got old eggs? Lol

I am setting my eggs today. Have to finish some touche in my new homemade bator. scared I over did it with the bator because maybe is too big to keep constant temp. My insulation it's not the best. Setting today, 12 black copper marans (shipped), 6 EE mine, and tomorrow i''ll set 24 amaracanas eggs.

:pThermal mass of the eggs helps with consistent temps if it's full and you have some variability. Way back when I started and a gator proved inconsistent a water filled jar helped balance things out, just lid it so it doesn't affect humidity. Can also use dense rocks that have been boiled or a brick, lol even marbles. I've built six incubators lol and tried everything I could think of. Light bults. Heat tape, heat rope, rope lights, computer fans, gqf fans, refrigerator fans, metal cooler, styrofoam coolers, mini fridge , cabinets, wine coolers. Current bator is a wine cooler one, in progress.

So filled with eggs, it will be more steady even under insulated. Water filled objects add a buffer as do dense materials like blue stone, marble, glass and granite. Sand in a dish also. Even a layer of sand in the bottom... Microwave damp sand for a couple minutes. Let dry.

While insulation makes it easier to maintain temps. There's lots you can tinker with while it's not quite right.

So glad I found this thread!! I swapped 14 D'Anver eggs under my broody bantam brahma on the 6th. She kicked out two and I put those in a micro bator! I figure one of the incubator eggs has a fifty fifty shot between shipping and being kicked out of the nest. It's still so early but I am already impatient!

Hi all,

Just set 15 Blue/Black and splash Orpingtons last evening. I set 24 assorted Silkie eggs last week. I did my first candling last evening of those and lost 7. 4 were not fertile.
I am so excited about these Orpingtons!! I usually sell the chicks after a few days of hatching but I plan on keeping all of the ones that make it!! This is my 5th time hatching! The first time I had a 66% hatch rate from shipped eggs, 2nd 100% of my own brahmas, barred rocks and ameraucans!, 3rd hatch was 50% another shipped batch. So far so good I think! The shipped eggs are so difficult! I am trying to only order shipped eggs from a state or 2 away. NPIP only. I am doing both batches with the dry incubation method. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks and good luck!!

Hi all,

Just set 15 Blue/Black and splash Orpingtons last evening. I set 24 assorted Silkie eggs last week. I did my first candling last evening of those and lost 7. 4 were not fertile.
I am so excited about these Orpingtons!! I usually sell the chicks after a few days of hatching but I plan on keeping all of the ones that make it!! This is my 5th time hatching! The first time I had a 66% hatch rate from shipped eggs, 2nd 100% of my own brahmas, barred rocks and ameraucans!, 3rd hatch was 50% another shipped batch. So far so good I think! The shipped eggs are so difficult! I am trying to only order shipped eggs from a state or 2 away. NPIP only. I am doing both batches with the dry incubation method. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks and good luck!!

Best tip, don't do what I'm doing. :lol: after that, I will say I've hatched eggs from across the US, in heat and frost. Luck of the draw in shipped eggs includes local postal gorillas, drpped cartons and auto accidents. Shipments are pure gambles the minute the box leaves caring hands and enters the system. I've had eggs from six hours away, totally trashed. Luck is luck. 2 hours or two days... You need more luck for two days but bad luck can strike at any time.

I will however, wish everyone getting shipped eggs the best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom