Setting eggs July 6th. Need some hatching buddies. Lets have some fun!

Best tip, don't do what I'm doing. :lol: after that, I will say I've hatched eggs from across the US, in heat and frost. Luck of the draw in shipped eggs includes local postal gorillas, drpped cartons and auto accidents. Shipments are pure gambles the minute the box leaves caring hands and enters the system. I've had eggs from six hours away, totally trashed. Luck is luck. 2 hours or two days... You need more luck for two days but bad luck can strike at any time.
I will however, wish everyone getting shipped eggs the best of luck.

Thanks, I think I will need it! The eggs sat for an extra day over the 4th, though I paid extra for a cooling pack to combat the heat for a whle. We'll see. :/

Nice! Where'd you get them? Yay for Doms!
I got them from somebody at the Farmer's market I go to. I have a few doms from meyer hatchery, I want them for historical reenacting more than anything, but wanted more bloodlines to keep them healthy.

I just came back in my one hen is doing great I do not think she is eating or drinking much I hope she will be ok.

I was on the old broody/ hatching thread and someone mentions that you almost will almost never see them move but they do get up to eat and poo at least once a day. Lots of people make their hen get up and out at least once a day though.

I put extra food and water in the coop, just to help. My girl goes out once a day between 1 and 4. She stays out for 15-20 minutes and then runs back into the coop. She is hilarious to watch right now. She used to be so quiet and now she won't shut up! She even screams at the hens in the other coop! But if I wasn't watching for her in that time frame I would never know she had twitched a toe!

I just came back in my one hen is doing great I do not think she is eating or drinking much I hope she will be ok.

Mine isn't getting off the nest much either, and I've read that some of them only come off once a day. I set the food and water really close to the nest so that she doesn't have to go far, but it doesn't look like it's been touched.

And speaking of broodies... I have *another* Australorp sitting now! I guess the heatwave was good for broodiness. I'm going to move her in with the other broody hen tonight, then move some of the eggs to her nest. I wish I was able to separate them from each other now, but that will have to wait until DH has time to fabricate something. I'm going to hatch a baby of my own here within a week (hopefully!), so the chickens will have to take a backseat to that!

My only probleam is I have her Lin a crate with a lid and I go out 2 times a day kick everyone outside and let her out of her box for about 20 and then put her back

My only probleam is I have her Lin a crate with a lid and I go out 2 times a day kick everyone outside and let her out of her box for about 20 and then put her back

Hmmm... Do you have any way to give her a larger space so she can have access to food/water more often? I'm not really set up to have any birds "quarantined" from the rest of the flock, but I was able to block off an area in the run under the hen house (my coop is similar in design to the Playhouse Coop, so there is an open space under the henhouse that is predator-proof and out of the weather - if it ever decides to rain again). I'm currently making do with a strip of pegboard to block it off, since it was flexible enough to bend and wedge into the space. I'm going to have to use another piece of plywood to divide that area, because I don't want the broodies together for any longer than necessary. If your coop or henhouse is large enough, maybe you could do something similar, even if it's just blocking in a corner with a piece of plywood or fencing...

Okay, broody hen #2 was successfully moved. I didn't check how many eggs she has, because it was pretty dark by the time I was able to make it out to move her. Hopefully I'll have a chance tomorrow.

I only had two nesting boxes, and they're now both occupied by setting hens. I put fresh straw in the same spot that the nests usually sit; any idea if my other girls will continue to lay in the same spot out of habit?

Have 12 shipped FBCM , 7 EE from my hens in my new homemade bator. Waiting for the arrival of 24 amaracauna eggs Tomorrow I hope.

Back
Top Bottom