Setting eggs June 3rd. Need hatching buddies! Lets have some fun!

Ok, I was getting white hairs over my homemade incubator and the eggs are doing exceptionally well. I went to my local TSS to purchase a Little Giant still air Incubator, hoping for more consistency than my makeshift one. I am getting it set up now. The lady that helped me told me that my eggs may not hatch if I don't get the egg turner and the fan to circulate air. Is this true? Yes, I bought another incubator to give those 3 die hard eggs a chance to hatch and that lady's words really dampened my hopes a little, but I wasn't going to just drop another $80 in addition to the cost of the incubator. Will it be okay without the other 2 components? Is there anything else that I can use to improvise to circulate the air? I am feeling very shaken now.
idunno.gif

Okay. So the thermometer on the left has the mercury resting on the wire bottom. The temp reads 95. The thermometer on the right laying level on top of the eggs reads 101. The thermometer on the wall, level with the bulb is reading 99.

Ok, I was getting white hairs over my homemade incubator and the eggs are doing exceptionally well. I went to my local TSS to purchase a Little Giant still air Incubator, hoping for more consistency than my makeshift one. I am getting it set up now. The lady that helped me told me that my eggs may not hatch if I don't get the egg turner and the fan to circulate air. Is this true? Yes, I bought another incubator to give those 3 die hard eggs a chance to hatch and that lady's words really dampened my hopes a little, but I wasn't going to just drop another $80 in addition to the cost of the incubator. Will it be okay without the other 2 components? Is there anything else that I can use to improvise to circulate the air? I am feeling very shaken now.
idunno.gif
Not true! Sounds like the lady at the store was trying to get you to spend more money? I just purchased a new still bator and went ahead and got a turner too. Only because I have alot of eggs this time and figured it would cut down on turning by hand. This is only my second hatch and don't know as much as the pros on here, but there are many who hatch successfully without accessories.
Just stay tuned rite here and there will be lots of help. We all ask questions so feel free to voice any concerns you may have and someone will have a good answer!! Good hatching and have fun!!!
jumpy.gif

I bought the little giant too. I went to staples and got a antec computer fan replacement (has 3 speeds on the fan control) and hooked it into my car battery charger clamps for the power to run it (red wire to positive and black to negative, white wire is hooked to nothing) and it worked fine last hatch and had a great hatching rate(if that had anything to do with it).Ive heard the same about still air not having as good hatching rate but Im so like a newbie Id have no clue on the truth on that. If your worried about the still air its alot cheaper way to have a fan in it and was easy to put in. I went to lowes and got little size 6-32x3/4 machine bolts, nuts and washers (washers - to keep the nuts from going thru the styrofoam and ripping it up) to attach it to the inside of my llittle giant. I used extra nuts on the inside to space the fan just alittle away from the styrofoam to give alittle more air circulation. I wish I knew how to post a pic so you could see because its real easy, ya just have to becareful getting the bolts thru the styrofoam when your placing the fan where it should be. Anyhoo mine works great and the $12.00 altogether was a better price then the 50.00 they wanted for the regular fan for it and had to wait until TSC got it sent to them, although since I think I seen them on ebay. I just thought I should let ya know you have a option kinda thing if your worried is all.

I bought the little giant too. I went to staples and got a antec computer fan replacement (has 3 speeds on the fan control) and hooked it into my car battery charger clamps for the power to run it (red wire to positive and black to negative, white wire is hooked to nothing) and it worked fine last hatch and had a great hatching rate(if that had anything to do with it).Ive heard the same about still air not having as good hatching rate but Im so like a newbie Id have no clue on the truth on that. If your worried about the still air its alot cheaper way to have a fan in it and was easy to put in. I went to lowes and got little size 6-32x3/4 machine bolts, nuts and washers (washers - to keep the nuts from going thru the styrofoam and ripping it up) to attach it to the inside of my llittle giant. I used extra nuts on the inside to space the fan just alittle away from the styrofoam to give alittle more air circulation. I wish I knew how to post a pic so you could see because its real easy, ya just have to becareful getting the bolts thru the styrofoam when your placing the fan where it should be. Anyhoo mine works great and the $12.00 altogether was a better price then the 50.00 they wanted for the regular fan for it and had to wait until TSC got it sent to them, although since I think I seen them on ebay. I just thought I should let ya know you have a option kinda thing if your worried is all.
I love that idea! I would much rather save myself a little $$ and put it towards.....MORE EGGS!
ya.gif

Thanks for the pep talk, I needed the boost of confidence.

I just finished a lockdown. 11 eggs set on day 18. 8 hatched on day 20 and the other three hatched this morning. 11 out of 11 Black Copper Marans! First home run ever.
I am on day 6 with 17 Splash Marans and I am setting 12 more Black Copper Marans tomorrow. I run staggered hatched in my ECO 20 for 18 days and then hatch them in a Hovabator Genesis for the Hatch. I stack the eggs on top of each other in the ECO when I have more than 24. I have cooked up to 32 eggs at once.

Well I just turned them, so we will see. I had my daughter hold the hair dryer far above the cooler/incubator as I was turning the eggs so the temp wouldn't drop too much. The temp spiked a little, but it is just about back to where I want it again.

Back
Top Bottom