Setting eggs June 3rd. Need hatching buddies! Lets have some fun!

I started a bit later than everyone else, but I have 7 little marans chicks that hatched today. YAY!!! There are still 4 more eggs that are making sounds so fingers crossed. One of the seven has a bum leg/foot. It can walk around as well as the others at this point, but when it lays down it is clear that something is not quite right. The toes all curl up together and the leg is splayed to the side. (see below) Any ideas on if it can be fixed or might develop out or is this a candidate for freezer camp?

Bum leg chick...

I started a bit later than everyone else, but I have 7 little marans chicks that hatched today. YAY!!! There are still 4 more eggs that are making sounds so fingers crossed. One of the seven has a bum leg/foot. It can walk around as well as the others at this point, but when it lays down it is clear that something is not quite right. The toes all curl up together and the leg is splayed to the side. (see below) Any ideas on if it can be fixed or might develop out or is this a candidate for freezer camp?

Bum leg chick...
Noooooo don't freezer camp this wee one if you can help it!!! Stanley did just fine after we got her feet fixed. Sooo here goes. Get some cardstock paper and make small oblong shapes long enough for the feet. I used double stick tape and put it on one side then attached her feet to each one. Then I put a band aid over each foot and secured them underneath. They kinda look like Birkenstock sandals.... I left Stanley's on for two days and she learned to walk great!

I do hope that helps. BTW, Stanley is a BCM too. awwwww.
thumbsup.gif

Noooooo don't freezer camp this wee one if you can help it!!! Stanley did just fine after we got her feet fixed. Sooo here goes. Get some cardstock paper and make small oblong shapes long enough for the feet. I used double stick tape and put it on one side then attached her feet to each one. Then I put a band aid over each foot and secured them underneath. They kinda look like Birkenstock sandals.... I left Stanley's on for two days and she learned to walk great!

I do hope that helps. BTW, Stanley is a BCM too. awwwww.
thumbsup.gif
PS if the splay is a huge problem and it's not just the foot itself, you can then bandaid the legs together and leave the chick alone or stand/sit it up in a cup/top of a plastic cup that's been cut or adjusted to fit to size.

It is good to hear that there is a chance it can be fixed. It sounds like I will be fashioning myself some little chickie footwear here in the near future. I hope the others don't get jealous!

There is a post that has a web site link that shows how you can help the splayed legs & bent toes. I've used it before and found it worked quite well. Try a search by "splayed legs" on this site to see if you can find the post w/the link.

I was on the tail end of this hatch. I had 7 eggs at the start. All of the BLR Wyandotte eggs were not viable and got tossed. One of my EE/? failed to develop. Of the two that made it past week 1, I got a Lavender Orpington and an EE/BR. I'm done till cooler weather. The EE/BR hatched yesterday and spent the day out from under the Eco Glo. It was a good 95 on the patio, no extra heat needed. Last night he tucked under where it was warmer. Today he is pestering his new buddy who would love to just rest from the rigors of hatching last night.

It is good to hear that there is a chance it can be fixed. It sounds like I will be fashioning myself some little chickie footwear here in the near future.  I hope the others don't get jealous!

Update from yesterday -it's little foot it actually looking quite a bit better even from just last night. I think it's going to be OK. Yay little chick!

hit.gif
Well here I go again. Checked under mumma hen today (this morning) & there was a broken egg with a fully formed chick inside...it smelled abit. I checked yesterday evening & no pips??
hmm.png
??
The air sac had blood in it, so I dont know if mumma hen pecked the shell or not.

So, I havent got a bator, so I have a heat lamp, put it in an animal carrier & fashioned a nest out of towels. I now have two viable eggs in there & one that Im not sure about....it may be 2 days fertile???

I dont know what temp to have the lamp at??? Can anyone let me know the best temp for hatching??

hit.gif
Well here I go again. Checked under mumma hen today (this morning) & there was a broken egg with a fully formed chick inside...it smelled abit. I checked yesterday evening & no pips??
hmm.png
??
The air sac had blood in it, so I dont know if mumma hen pecked the shell or not.

So, I havent got a bator, so I have a heat lamp, put it in an animal carrier & fashioned a nest out of towels. I now have two viable eggs in there & one that Im not sure about....it may be 2 days fertile???

I dont know what temp to have the lamp at??? Can anyone let me know the best temp for hatching??
99.5 F. Check out the learning center on here. You will find so much usefull info!

Back
Top Bottom