Setting Eggs on April 24th!!!! Who wants to hatch along w/me???

OMG newlyweds. That is the neatest sound.. I purse my lips and make a sound back. Sometime they answer.
( or I have been home to many hours by myself and think they are talking to me.)
O well, I have fun anyway, but you might try it...........

My eggs are here...............
big_smile.png

If any one comes in...........please tell me how long you let your eggs settle and did you turn them
during this time....
Thanks

Well I hate to be a party pooper but I really really suck at incubating!!!!!!!!! I had to help the 2 that had piped to shells and were stuck in their shells some 12+ hours later. So as I had the incubator open I decided to check one of my shells since none of the others had any activity. Well turns out they were all dead, yes 23 eggs.
Only a few had pipped into the membrane but most I can't figure out why they died. I guess my humidity was too low around 60%-65%. My mom thinks my incubator is faulty but I am not so convinced.

I just can't figure out why they would make it to lockdown and then die before pipping?????? I had my temp at a steady 99-100 degrees, and my humidity around 40-45% before lockdown.

But I am happy to have 2 healthy chicks peeping their little heads off as I type. But I am calling it quits. I really really hope I have a broody next year and will only incubate that way from now on.

I hate failing, and all the little chicks, ugh. It just heart breaking. So ladies good luck on all your hatching's and much success.

Hi everyone!!
frow.gif

I hope I did not miss too much!! Been crazy busy, and having what I like to call "Agony Hatch 2010". Okay, those Showgirl eggs, one hatched 4 days ago. I put two other SG eggs in lockdown with it, they looked viable, just behind. Well I think I am on day 24, they continue to move like crazy! I am too scared to open one that has not piped, but I have been on that bator every 30 minutes for the last 4 days...and they are still wiggling!! I just cannot give up on a very obviously viable egg...but watching em just wiggle endlessly is tough!

And this morning a little baby wild bird was flopping around in my front yard! Soooo, no I got this little thing in the back just giving it a chance. The nest is about 20ft up, and it was either me or a cat, any suggestions on the wild baby bird are greatly appreciated. I have no idea what I am doing!!

Well, I am with you guys, I suck at incubating, but somehow that is not stopping me! Just built a new bator, much more stable. I have to say the wafer thermostat is the only way to go..temps are very stable. Got 30 eggs in that bad boy!! Silkies, Bantam Sumatras, Russian Orloffs, and Maran Mixes!

newlyweds, I know how you feel about the incubating. That is why I am really anxious to have some broody Silkies to help me out!! At least that is the plan. And don't be too hard on yourself, eggs I think are actually quite hardy. The SG eggs that are moving right now looked awful, liquid, loose air cells, but they did develop to something. And I had terrible temp and humidity problems..and they still move!! So, it may be genetic, or something we have no control over. Who knows if these last 2 will make it, but to my surprise, I never thought I would see movement in em.

Toni, when did you set your eggs?? My Silkie/Sumatras were set on the 2nd.

smchickfarm, did you set any??? Anyone else??

Off to check the SG eggs, AGAIN!
fl.gif

HI, I set the 22nd in the evening.
Set about 14 or so BCM'S 2 ee, 5 slw's shipped in...( can you believe it, I dropped one)
and two blue, red laced wyn eggs that had started in someone eles inc. on the 29th of June.
Hope they are O.K. was out of onc about 2 hrs, but it was warm out and I put them next to my body
covered until we got home.

I'm nuts.pure and simple certifiable.
My last hatch was a bust..12 out of 29.shhhhhhhhhhhh.made me ill .Having a hell of a time with hydrometers........should have just bought a good one.Bought another one for 5 bucks at petco...
but it reads different than my other two that I have calibrated.
I think it is the humidity that did me in last hatch.

Thank Goodness I have lots of eggs.
Just as a side note.I am so surprised that my BCM'S give an egg almost every day. I did not think they were such good layers.and big eggs.large to jumbo..What a treat, beautful chickens that are geat layers.

I also wish I had more Broodies.....so much easier and a real treat to watch them teach the babies.

I need to learn to do pictured..will try to write this so you can visuilize it.

The broody I had that hatched 11 chicks was not mine...........I chicken set this winter for friends that do winter in Hawii.
They took her home when the chicks were about 2 weeks old. They have speckled sussex hens.
They were afraid the two other hens would hurt the babies so they built a box to seperate the mama and babies.
Last week they had every one outside and decided to go shopping They attempted,( without success) to catch the chicks and put them and mama in the box. Finally they just left and hoped all would be O.K. When they returned they found all three hens very tightly together on thier roost..and chicks under and on top of, all three hens. They all live together now and all three hens are being mama. I have a photograph on email
but don't know how to get it up.
Anyway, just one more sweet chicken story....;Once more, so glad to have you to share the part of me my other friends do not understand.
Later

Hang in there Toni!!! Love the story !!
And the BCMs, love em, that will be prolly my last hatch of this year..yea right
gig.gif

Hope you all are doing good. Have to show you my "better bator" and this
55327_betterbator.jpg
is what happend from hanging out on this site...yes, total insanity!!
th.gif

And meet Nanners...
55327_nanners.jpg

this is the wild bird I found in my yard yesterday...anyone know what he is?? Suggestions/Advice?? On mushy chick feed and loves it and really sweet and easy to handle. Really hope he does okay!!
fl.gif

So how is everyone doing??
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom