Setting eggs on Wednesday June 29

Quote:
I don't have any birds... yet. I'm hoping to get at least a couple of girls out of these for the garden. We're doing things on a smaller scale to you lol. I wanted 1 Sebright, 1 Friesian and 1 Vorwerk, no more. I'm not doing chicken math on the eggs, because otherwise I'll end up counting my chickens before they hatch, so it's really only 4 out of 12 that hatched. We'll wait and see if there are any girls here. If not, I'll go pick some eggs up from the breeders myself. Simon (my OH) said we could (it's important to keep him happy!).

I ended up removing them last night, about three hours after hatching. Just long enough for it to figure which way is up. None of them ever dried in the incubator, cos I had humidity up at around 75-80%. The first Friesian was pecking at the beak that kept popping up out of the shell. It was so cute! She wasn't really attacking, because when the other chick came out, she kept following it around in its tumbles and trying to lay next to it <3 They've only about 10 hours difference in age but the difference in size is surprising!

The two little Sebrights think they're boss, but the first Friesian is already as big and half again, so they've decided not too peck at her so much lol. I ended up saying what Jim said "You'll regret that when she's three times your size!"

Do people not recommend to keep the eggs incubating until 24 days? If no one else has pipped, I'd be naughty and check the eggs with your fingers for a pip and tap on the shell. The second Sebright answered when I did that. My incubator gets up to temp and humidity very quickly, so I allowed myself some naughtiness lol. It saved me some anxiety! I wouldn't give up on the others yet.

Is the little darkie a brahma then, with it's feathered toes? I love how dark it is. Do you name your birds?

Those silver pencilled plymouth rocks are so cute, they look like they're wearing little brown eye masks. I had to look them up as I'd never seen silver pencilled ones before. I'm not too keen on the rocks, but silver pencilled look gorgeous!

I might start using kitchen roll for the brooder too... I remember reading that using a towel and washing it once a week is fine, but they haven't even been in it two days and it's already rank.

Eight chicks have hatched so far. Four have died within 3 or 4 hours of hatching. So sad; I don't know whats going on. Temp and humidity in incubator steady. Any ideas?

Oh that's terrible!
sad.png

Did the chicks look okay? I'm so sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

The chicks were all fully developed; nothing on the outside. They were moving around good and looked healthy. There was no indication there was a problem. This is only my second hatch, but the first one went very well. I don't know whats going on.

Quote:
I don't have any birds... yet. I'm hoping to get at least a couple of girls out of these for the garden. We're doing things on a smaller scale to you lol. I wanted 1 Sebright, 1 Friesian and 1 Vorwerk, no more. I'm not doing chicken math on the eggs, because otherwise I'll end up counting my chickens before they hatch, so it's really only 4 out of 12 that hatched. We'll wait and see if there are any girls here. If not, I'll go pick some eggs up from the breeders myself. Simon (my OH) said we could (it's important to keep him happy!).

I ended up removing them last night, about three hours after hatching. Just long enough for it to figure which way is up. None of them ever dried in the incubator, cos I had humidity up at around 75-80%. The first Friesian was pecking at the beak that kept popping up out of the shell. It was so cute! She wasn't really attacking, because when the other chick came out, she kept following it around in its tumbles and trying to lay next to it <3 They've only about 10 hours difference in age but the difference in size is surprising!

The two little Sebrights think they're boss, but the first Friesian is already as big and half again, so they've decided not too peck at her so much lol. I ended up saying what Jim said "You'll regret that when she's three times your size!"

Do people not recommend to keep the eggs incubating until 24 days? If no one else has pipped, I'd be naughty and check the eggs with your fingers for a pip and tap on the shell. The second Sebright answered when I did that. My incubator gets up to temp and humidity very quickly, so I allowed myself some naughtiness lol. It saved me some anxiety! I wouldn't give up on the others yet.

Is the little darkie a brahma then, with it's feathered toes? I love how dark it is. Do you name your birds?

Those silver pencilled plymouth rocks are so cute, they look like they're wearing little brown eye masks. I had to look them up as I'd never seen silver pencilled ones before. I'm not too keen on the rocks, but silver pencilled look gorgeous!

I might start using kitchen roll for the brooder too... I remember reading that using a towel and washing it once a week is fine, but they haven't even been in it two days and it's already rank.

My chicks were sitting on the poor eggs that were trying to hatch lol. Not to mention trying to jump up to the heating element in the incubator so I figured it was time for them to go. 4 birds sounds like a good start for a new coop. I ordered the ones I have in the coop right now from a hatchery but then found out that it's better to get eggs from a breeder because the hatcheries don't always keep the breeds as pure so I guess we learn by doing. With the 15 that hatched yesterday my total for birds is up to 30 but not all will be staying only the ones that seem to fit because they are large and grow quickly. Looking for egg layers to raise my meaties for next year hehe.

The little darkie is probably a Cochin austrolorp cross if I had to guess. Dad is probably a splash cochin and mom is a black austrolorp. My sister asked if she could have him if he's a boy to replace her splash cochin rooster who is getting old. The brahmas are the light yellow ones. They look a log smaller than the others because they were just born versus 24 hours old lol. Hoping to get some big girls for the coop out of that batch.

I do name my birds if they are staying but I am wondering if I am getting myself into trouble doing that since originally the plan was to eat them as they stopped producing eggs.We might have to build a geriatric coop for those that we can't part with lol.

Paper towels work well for the brooder because they can be removed and taken right outside to the trash so the house doesn't stink. I can also close the door too so the babies should be okay in here for a bit as they grow then I will have to get my second coop area created in the barn so I can get them outside before my DH starts thinking they aren't cute anymore lol.

Quote:
I'm not saying this as a certainty but what did you clean your incubator with and are you sure that all was really rinsed well. Maybe some kind of bacteria. Sounds strange.

Quote:
I'm not saying this as a certainty but what did you clean your incubator with and are you sure that all was really rinsed well. Maybe some kind of bacteria. Sounds strange.

I checked my eggs day 15 and everyone was moving then that I put in for lock down and I had 11 eggs out of 26 that did not hatch even though. I think there are some things that effect the chicks between day 15 and hatch day which is 6 days later that cause them not to make it whether it be that they are just not developed enough or they are having problems getting out of the egg. At least I am hoping it's nothing that I'm doing but who knows.

Quote:
They're beginning to hatch! I can't see a thing as Ruby won't budge but I can hear em so I'm happy!
big_smile.png
will take pics once all out and mum up and about with them.

I did an initial cleaning with a sink full of water and a little bleach. I let it dry and then washed with dish washing soap. I then rinsed with water and vinegar. The incubator sat open for a couple weeks before I got my eggs. I now have 8 hatched and living with 4 more zipping. Things are looking better.

I'm sure nothing near an expert with these incubators but I can tell you this for certain. My very first time I had 1 incubator going, I had 14 Black Copper Marans eggs and only 4 hatched (shipped eggs). I had 6 Golden Salmon Marans egg and only 2 hatched (shipped eggs). I had 4 of my own Coronation Sussex eggs and 3 hatched (gathered eggs).

My second time, I had 2 bators going, #1 had 14 Delaware eggs Shipped 7 hatched, 13 RIR eggs 7 hatched Shipped 5 of my own Black Copper Marans Gathered 4 hatched. Lot's of dead chicks in eggs, fully formed.

Bator # 2 had 14 Barred Plymouth Rocks shipped none hatched, 17 RIR 7 hatched Again, fully formed chicks dead in eggs

My third time, one bator 14 Silver Penciled Rocks shipped 4 hatched. unhatched eggs still in bator until Sunday. Nothing really expected.

What the problem is I really don't know. I do know that I am done for now. I have 3 juvenile Barred Plymouth Rock juvenile's already bought paid for coming this fall when the weather cools down and they will be 4 months or so old and when they start to lay, I will be setting some of their eggs in December or January and they won't be shipped so I will see how they work out.

This has been my experience with hatching May, June and July of 2010. lol Not really very good to my estimation. ?????

Back
Top Bottom