Setting eggs on Wednesday June 29

Quote:
Not at all I know I did the same then last hatch. This hatch I am trying to candle less. I will candle on day 10 in 2 more days and I will try and get some pictures then for you and then my last one will be day 15 since you can't see much after that if the chick has developed well. I have just decided that if there is no odor even if I am not sure if its growing I will leave it in just in case that way I am not getting rid of eggs that might have hatched.

Candled the last three Sebrights tonight and saw definite movement in one egg!
woot.gif

SO excited!
wee.gif

Another looked nice and dark, although had a strangely shaped airsack. I've read others have had chicks hatch out of similar, so I'm keeping hope. I won't clog your thread up with those, but could you look at the third, I think it has a blood ring. It's certainly lighter than the other two. I've marked it for regular sniffing
sickbyc.gif

What do you think?

If you want to see the wonky airsack, let me know and I'll upload it.

It could be but it doesn't look like it goes all the way around so it might be veining. The veins seem to get bigger as the chicks do so you can give it more time as long as it doesn't start smelling foul
sickbyc.gif

Okay I couldn't wait to candle...I know I know it's only day 8 and I said I would wait until day 10 but darn I needed to make sure they were still growing.

So here are some pictures...

77863_pic_0787.jpg

this is a picture of an infertile egg on day 8 it's totally clear no color whatsoever

77863_pic_0792.jpg

This is a bloodring egg the ring goes straight around the egg from one side to the other and when I move it it doesn't move with the fluid in the egg but stays attached to the shell. It appears I have three of those now gar.

Here are some videos of that you will see at 8 days when you have a live embryo.

This is a video of peepers egg my sisters favorite hen. She gave me an egg to incubate and it's definitely growing you can see the baby moving.

This next is a video of one of my cracked eggs. It is growing well despite the crack on one side of the egg. I fixed it with tape.

Too cool I love hatching eggs

Oh as an extra I seem to have a twin egg. Not sure if it's developing or not it's one of the questionables but it definitely has two air cells. My first ever twin egg.

Last edited:
You have three more blood rings since two days ago or were they questionable eggs?

Bummer for your three lost eggs
sad.png
How many does that leave you with? How many did you start off with? Were they shipped?

That's a great vid. I sent it to my sister cos she thought the whole eggs was wriggling when I told her we saw movement lol. I'll try doing a vid if one moves tongiht. I'll candle the three Friesians tonight, I think!

You did a really neat job of taping that egg up. What did you use, some of that black insulation-type tape?

By twin egg, do you mean two yolks? I spent two days reading that story of someone else on here who successfully hatched a double-yolker. What a story, eh!

I tried to candle last night on day 6. I don't see any veining or black spots (eye balls) like everyone says I should see. However, I don't have any clear eggs like in your picture. In most I can see an air sac and a dark shadow. I also have one with a blood ring.

I was starting to get upset thinking that none of them were developing, but I will just wait and see...

I couldn't see any veins either. I think the light might just not be powerful enough? I don't know. I'm keepigng everything for another few days so I can EALLY tell the difference between a dead and a live egg.

Quote:
I have two sets of shipped eggs and one set from here.

One set was 14 shipped eggs with quite a few questionables one of which has two air sacs but I don't see movement in the egg right now, and now I'm worried they just aren't developing. I have three blood rings in that batch and 9 clears (maybe not sure about the twin) leaving me with 2 that are definitely developing with moving embryos. I think it must have just been a bad batch of eggs and I'm not holding out much hope for the babies if they hatch from that batch
sad.png

My second set of shipped eggs had one quitter that stopped growing about day 4 or 5 you can see the spot but it's attached to the egg shell and definitely smelly and 14 growing and moving embryos two of which were cracked in shipping but still growing so I taped them with plain old scotch tape and kept them in lol. The membranes weren't broken and other than the crack they were developing so I figured why not. I have high hopes for this batch of eggs
fl.gif

My non shipped batch has one that looks clear and the rest are all developing so 11 growing out of 12. But then my home grown mutts always seem to do well when we grow them in the incubator lol.

So total I think I have 27 that are definitely growing and viable out of the 38 I had left when I removed the blood ring stink bombs from last night. The problem being is that the batch I have only two growing in is the one I wanted to grow the most. Thank god I have a second set coming from different breeders to set right after this batch is done. Hopefully they hatch much better so depressing when they just don't grow.

Last edited:
Candled the three Friesian eggs tonight...

Check out this huge aircell. What do you think? Will he have troubles pipping?

I think this one may be a quitter:

Got vids of two moving. One is quite the kicker!

Quote:
Great videos those two are definitely growing well. Did you see any movement in the second one? I wouldn't worry about the first one my air cells will look like that they tend to dry up and get bigger the closer they get to hatch time. You can always keep the second egg in until lockdown before you put them into lockdown candle it again and if it still looks like that it's definitely a quitter.

Back
Top Bottom