setting eggs tomorrow.... 3-21-12 who wants to join?

hide.gif
Here I sit wondering what I have done wrong with my hatch. I placed 12 eggs in our home made incubator about 9am on March 21st. Culled the ones that were infertile and had blood rings after day15. I mis-calculated the lockdown date and put 7 of them into lockdown a dday early.
hmm.png
First time hatcher mistake I guess. Well today I still have nothing.
hit.gif
No pips or anything. How much longer do I wait before getting rid of them all.
barnie.gif
I know they say wait until day 23 but if you can't see any movement from the egg due to being upright in an egg carton how do you tell without compromising the integrity of the incubator? I really don't want to have to open the incubator to candle one. Should I wait until the 14th to check one? Will they explode if I wait too long? I have not done this before and would like to know what to do.
he.gif
Thanks for everyone's help so far. I really appreciate it.

hide.gif
Here I sit wondering what I have done wrong with my hatch. I placed 12 eggs in our home made incubator about 9am on March 21st. Culled the ones that were infertile and had blood rings after day15. I mis-calculated the lockdown date and put 7 of them into lockdown a dday early.
hmm.png
hit.gif
barnie.gif
I know they say wait until day 23 but if you can't see any movement from the egg due to being upright in an egg carton how do you tell without compromising the integrity of the incubator? I really don't want to have to open the incubator to candle one. Should I wait until the 14th to check one? Will they explode if I wait too long? I have not done this before and would like to know what to do.
he.gif

I'm on day 23 as well, under a broody, and one pipped only an hour or so ago. There are 3 duds as well and they have not exploded or otherwise. Just hang out another day to see? Best of luck!

hide.gif
hmm.png
hit.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif

I would just wait and see. i put mine in a day or TWO early on accident. and the first one pipped yesterday, and still hasnt hatched, and nothing from the others. i think we just need to wait it out. besides I BET they are actually fine...
roll.png

:oops: Here I sit wondering what I have done wrong with my hatch. I placed 12 eggs in our home made incubator about 9am on March 21st. Culled the ones that were infertile and had blood rings after day15.  I mis-calculated the lockdown date and put 7 of them into lockdown a dday early.:/ First time hatcher mistake I guess. Well today I still have nothing. :hit No pips or anything. How much longer do I wait before getting rid of them all.:barnie I know they say wait until day 23 but if you can't see any movement from the egg due to being upright in an egg carton how do you tell without compromising the integrity of the incubator? I really don't want to have to open the incubator to candle one. Should I wait until the 14th to check one? Will they explode if I wait too long? I have not done this before and would like to know what to do. :he   Thanks for everyone's help so far. I really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about your hatch. I know nothing about incubating, so I am not able to give you any advice. I lost 10 turkey eggs the first time that I tried, so I know how you feel. We just have to keep trying until we get it right. :hugs

CityChickens, try not to feel too bad! I would wait until day 23 before giving up hope, and wait until day 25 to toss them as many people have had chicks hatch that late before. Personally, at this point I wouldn't hesitate to crack the incubator open for a few seconds to grab an egg or two to candle and/or float. And if they don't hatch just remember, sometimes it's nothing you did wrong at all!

It is day 21 for me and I just started hearing peeping this morning.
Now I have one pip and one starting to zip, and one egg rocking.
I only have 4 total, so that is not to bad!
This has been the slowest hatch ever, though, like watching paint dry!
It seems like it happened quicker last time I did this, but maybe my temperature has been hanging a little lower.

Here are pics from last night with my digital camera. On yesterday, one more had hatched and 2 more were zipping. No more movement. I think it's a done deal. I will take the last one to hatch out today and check the others to see what happened to the ones that didn't hatch. :hit So, all together, I had 13 out of 24 to hatch. :hit

[

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom