setting eggs tomorrow.... 3-21-12 who wants to join?

So I found this thread late, but I put some eggs in the incubator on the 23rd... so I think they are due today if I counted right :) It's been a couple of years since I hatched eggs. And that year took me several tried to get anything right! By my last hatch I ended up with more chickens and ducks then I knew what to do with! Anywho, hopefully I'm still doing everything right. I've got different "settings" of eggs all in the same incubator. If I raised the humidity of the room to match my incubator would it be alright to take the top off to shift them? It's not hard to do... they are in the laundry room so I just pull the hose off the back of the dryer and shut the door to the room for 15 mins :) What do you guys think?

I also left my water trays in... I'd rather exchange them for sponges so I don't have any drownings...

Sorry that I didn't post last night but there is always some kind of drama at my place. I had an unexpected goose to hatch and it took me forever to get everything situated with hiim.
Anyway, when I got home after work it was raining Marans in the incubator.
wee.gif
There were a total of 12 that had hatched and another was zipping out of there. I took the 12 chicks out and used a spray bottle to mist the other eggs. It took me about 45 seconds total. I was so afraid that I may have messed up the temps and humidity, so I just crossed my fingers.
I woke up this morning and another one had hatched even after opening up the incubator and taking out the other babies last night. I'm keep my fingers crossed that more hatch.
fl.gif

Here are some pics. Can you pick out the "odd ball" in the bunch?
gig.gif
I forgot my digital camera at work, so I had to take pics using my camera phone. Not good quality though.

UH............ totally awesome! i just knew when you got home you would have babies! so cool. they are beautiful! congrats.
thumbsup.gif

Oh, they're so cute!!!!!

Welcome, Isis!

My hatch is officially over. I mentally and emotionally prepared myself to find a dead in shell chick this morning, and got to the school as soon as I thought the teachers would be there. Instead, I found a newly hatched chick!!! She seems exhausted, but is alive and healthy. So, I got 6/7 total. 6/6 from lockdown. Not bad for a schoolbased hatch, eh?

I'm getting the incubator all cleaned out, and then I'll be setting it at my daughter's school for the first grade. A friend here GAVE me 7 BLRW eggs.

awesome! i LOVE blrw. they are my fav, got some in the bator now!

Oh, they're so cute!!!!!

Welcome, Isis!

My hatch is officially over. I mentally and emotionally prepared myself to find a dead in shell chick this morning, and got to the school as soon as I thought the teachers would be there. Instead, I found a newly hatched chick!!! She seems exhausted, but is alive and healthy. So, I got 6/7 total. 6/6 from lockdown. Not bad for a schoolbased hatch, eh?

I'm getting the incubator all cleaned out, and then I'll be setting it at my daughter's school for the first grade. A friend here GAVE me 7 BLRW eggs.

So, my pip after about 14 hours did nothing, it turns out it could barely breathe, so i took part of the shell off, and pulled the membrane hole around its beak, and now it can breathe.

I put it back in the bator, so hopefully it will do the rest on its own and make it.
fl.gif

it turns out the hole it made in the membrane was just a slit, and when its beak wasnt through the hole, the hole would colapse on itself so it was struggling to breathe. i hope i did the right thing, and it makes it.

Veins where still pretty full so hopefully the rest of the process will make them dry up and it will pop out. I will be so heartbroken if it dies.

Send me all your best hatching thoughts ya'll!

It sounds like you did the right thing. Good for you. Hoping it hatches out ok. It sounds like it'll be a while if the veins are still pretty big.
fl.gif

will deff try that thanks alot
If you get them off the brinsea site you can use a 10% promo code, OR i HEARD you can call brinsea directly, and talk to them and get re-manufactured ones/floor models (used by them at fairs once) for cheaper but they still work just fine....

I found this thread and read through it. I think it would be helpful for you and its not a very long read....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631919/cheap-incubator-turner

edited to add thread.

hello everyone....welcome isis......congrats sphinx and kuntrygirl for your hatches..... dirtcreature, that was the right thing to do, hopefully everything turns ok....
fl.gif
........here is my final count....i got 26 chicks out of 30 eggs in lockdown.....the remaining 4 were pipped but just couldn't pop the shell........still i'm happy with this hatch.........CONTRATS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!.............
thumbsup.gif

hello everyone....welcome isis......congrats sphinx and kuntrygirl for your hatches..... dirtcreature, that was the right thing to do, hopefully everything turns ok....:fl ........here is my final count....i got 26 chicks out of 30 eggs in lockdown.....the remaining 4 were pipped but just couldn't pop the shell........still i'm happy with this hatch.........CONTRATS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!.............:thumbsup

I think that was a GREAT hatch that you had !!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

Congrats!!!!!!!!! :weee

Back
Top Bottom