Setting eggs tomorrow night, 3/29/12, anyone want to hatch with us?

My hatch is quickly becoming a crazy staggered hatch. I've been planning to hatch on my birthday April 21, so I pre-ordered eggs from three different people, all set to arrive at the end of last week, so I could set eggs Saturday night. I want to wake up to fuzzy butts on my birthday morning.
wee.gif

Well, it didn't quite work out the way I'd planned. Only one set arrived early, and because I'm impatient, I set them 2 days early. A 2nd shipment arrived on time, but the postman delivered them to my neighbor. I actually saw him drop it at her door. And the tracking # said it had been delivered. So I called my neighbor, and she denied getting a package for me. 2 days later I run into her husband who says, "Hey, I think we got a package for you on Saturday". So I march up to the door, and the wife says, "Oh yeah, maybe we did".
hu.gif

So I set the 2nd batch yesterday. As for the 3rd batch, I got an email saying it had been shipped on Saturday. So I'm hoping to set those today? This should make lockdown pretty interesting.

Nevertheless, I'm excited! I'm waiting till Thursday to candle batch #1. I've had too many experiences in the past where I can't resist candling earlier, and I get all discouraged because I think they not developing...but then it turns out they are!

LOL!!! Never had to plan that much for hatching, but this is only our second....
jumpy.gif

Well... I'm not an expert, but I think you'll be OK. The turner was going whenever you were in the room with the light on right? So the eggs were not just in one position the whole time.

I'm sending happy thoughts to your eggs and keeping my fingers crossed with you!!!
fl.gif

Karen

Thank you for your encouragement. Yes the turner was going whenever we were in the room and I know we left the light on for awhile cause I remember coming home and still seeing the light on. Also we are cleaning the house so we were in and out of the room - thus turning the light on that day and a half. Also I was curious so I candled last night and of the 27 eggs, I saw the beginning stages in 25 of them. The other 2 it was hard to tell. I will check again in a few days.

Thanks

I'll Join!!! I just set 14 beautiful blue eggs from peachick on Saturday and then 23 Silkies yesterday!!!! Did they hatch yet?!!!
lau.gif

My lavender Orps just came out of the incubator as the silkies went in so I have some fluffy butts to keep me busy until these next ones hatch. I keep telling myself these are the last eggs I am going to hatch but then somehow find myself looking at the egg auctions.....
hide.gif
I think my computer has a mind of its own
tongue2.gif

Sorry I'm way behind, but I have a little time to catch up now. This post gave me a good chuckle!

I haven't been brave enough to order hatching eggs yet, but the temptation is growing!!!

Karen

So happy for the recommendation to join up on this thread. I popped 9 Knott's Berry Farm eggs that were given to me.into an old school incubator and am doing the turning myself.... they were gonna destroy them!!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH NOOOOOO!
barnie.gif

Suffice it to say, I'm new, and a wee bit nervous... and more than a little bit eggcited. The hens and roosters that were roaming around the area where the nest was were just lovely. Couldn't begin to name a breed... maybe I'll come up with a name on my own.
lau.gif

We're turning, and looking, and turning, and looking.... and planning on candleing on Wednesday or Thursday this week. They went in on Friday night 3/30. God bless those little guys!
bow.gif

My two fluffy butts in the yard are keeping me entertained till the newbies show up.Thanks

for everything! Jane

How are those mystery eggs doing??? Did you candle yet???

I grew up near Knotts Berry Farm. I remember going there back when there was no general admission fee, just pay as you go for rides or purchases. That was a long time ago! I remember them having loose chickens too!

Karen

I just candled batch #1. There were several BLRWs developing, but I couldn't say for sure with any of the Marans. I may try again later and let my eyes adjust to the dark for a couple of minutes first. I think I found maybe 4 with blood rings, but I'm not sure. These would be these first eggs I've had with blood rings. I put them back in. I'll check them again at day 10 and pull them once I'm sure.

I hope the blood rings aren't because of something I did. From what I've read, they're probably because of either rough treatment during shipment, or because they are fairly pourous. Most of the eggs are porous. I hope they don't die later. I knew with shipped eggs I lose a few. And at least I no longer have to stress over where I'm going to put 44 chickens. Now I only have to make room for 40 chickens.
big_smile.png

I candled my blue eggs last night and it looks like out of 14 I have 6 viable and growing..... It was only day 4 so there might be one that I couldn't see.....
fl.gif

I have Silkies in another bator that I put in on Sunday so I am waiting to candle those but I don't know how to safely take out the eggs to candle?? I took one egg out and the others immediately fell over!!!
barnie.gif
It's a Brinsea Eco 20 and the eggs are in the rails big end up with paper towels filling the gap at the end of the row.... Anybody have any tips using this incubator??? Its so easy in the Hovabator.... The good news is that the one silkie I candled was developing
wee.gif

Now how to fill my holiday weekend I will be fighting the urge to sit and stare at my bators.....

Quote: I'm leaving town for 2 nights, and am only mildy panicked at not being able to hover and check my temps every 2 hours....only mildly panicked. But at least I won't be able to candle every day.

Just completed my first candling tonight and out of 25 eggs so far 22 are doing good....
wee.gif
woot.gif
not to bad for a first timer .

I candled 7 of my shipped silkies .... One was cracked :( don't know how I missed that .... And only 2 of the other 6 had any veining. 3000 miles sure does a job on eggs .... Sigh. Will do row 2 of silkies tomorrow and row 3 on sat. ..... This is my 2nd attempt at these got 0 out of 24 the first time and only 2 had and development. So I'm already doing as well as attempt #1...... If I have to try and find something positive about tonight's candling....

Maybe I should go out of town this weekend .... :D

Back
Top Bottom