Setting eggs tomorrow night, 3/29/12, anyone want to hatch with us?

I also candled 6 polish eggs that traveled from Oregon to NC. They're only on day 4, but they all looked totally clear. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to see something. The eggs are white and easy to candle. So yeah....3000 miles. Maybe that's a lesson learned.

Sorry to hear about the eggs that traveled so far not looking good.
hit.gif
I've never bought hatching eggs before, but I've been thinking about it. Wouldn't you know the person that has what I want lives 3000 miles from me! Hmmm... perhaps I will at least put this off a little further until I'm a bit more knowledgable.

I think I'm going to give candling a go tomorrow. It will be my first time ever to candle so wish me luck. My eggs will have been in 7 days, so hopefully I'll see something! I don't have an official candler, but I think I can rig up something with a good flashlight and we have several of those. What are all of you using?

Karen

I never expect more than a 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs, so it's not a big deal. I am hoping that at least 1 Polish egg develops though.

I use an Incu-Brite candler. It was about $9, and it works extremely well for the price, plus it has a rubber lip to protect the eggs. I even saw moving chicks in my super dark Maran eggs! But I've seen a lot of people on here make their own candlers.

Well I'm glad you asked about the mystery eggs. I just candled them tonight. They've been under the incubator and being turned by my loving hands for a week now and it's not looking good. I was really very honest with myself that I didn't care if they developed or not, but that's not even the truth. I've found myself super sad that they may or may not be developing.

I'm going to stay the course for another few days and then make some decisions.

KBF on the other hand, has told me that they want nothing to do with the chickens, that they take NO OWNERSHIP of them and that they don't claim them as their own. They in fact, don't want any help with the rearing of these lovely birds or any help keeping the roosters and hens apart so that more babies won't have to meet the same end as so many have..... (sigh)

I have to say that there are many many feelings running through my body and mind right now, mostly... I would very much like one or two of these nine eggs to hatch, but if they don't.... ugh.... I think I've got the hatching bug.

I'm going to KBF this next week to just be with the hens..... it's my lot in life.

My remaining 19 eggs in the incubator seem to be doing just fine. One of my Cochins has gone broody. I gave her 3 Silkie eggs, 3 EE eggs from the neighbor, 1 Cochin egg (her own) and 4 Cochin mix eggs. Here's hoping I have 2 great hatches!!

Please help..... I just noted that I was a total tool and have been keeping my eggs at 99.5... however it's just a very very old school hovabator with no forced air. They've been in there for a week now and when I candled yesterday things didn't look overtly...well, anything. Have I done something so horrible that I can't (or they can't) ever recover?? Is it possible to increase temp and hope? Oooooh my babies!

Please please please... someone let me know what I should do. very sad.

Jane

Please help..... I just noted that I was a total tool and have been keeping my eggs at 99.5... however it's just a very very old school hovabator with no forced air. They've been in there for a week now and when I candled yesterday things didn't look overtly...well, anything. Have I done something so horrible that I can't (or they can't) ever recover?? Is it possible to increase temp and hope? Oooooh my babies!

Jane
You have not done something terrible..... The lower temperature will probably just slow the development and cause the eggs to hatch a little late You can increase the temp and wait and see. Did you set shipped or local eggs??? Take a deep breath it should be fine :D candle Again in 3-5 days and let us know.

Jane

I agree with aaggjg, I think you'll be fine! Maybe warm it up a touch, and definitely keep us posted!

Jane

They're right, no need to worry. I've heard that a good trick with a still air hovabator is to get 2 thermometers. Place one on the incubator floor, and 1 on top of the eggs. Then average your temps so that 100.5 falls between what they read. 99.5 is totally fine, but they might be developing a little slower since you don't have a fan, which might explain why you haven't seen anything yet.

I am incubating 15 Silkies, and 24 Buff Brahma eggs. This is my third hatch, but first with my Hova-bator 1588. Wow is this thing high speed. WAY BETTER than the Little Giant I was using that killed all of my first batch, and all but 4 of my second. I'm behind you guys but can't wait to see how yours turn out ;)

Back
Top Bottom