Setting eggs tonight anyone else?(10-14-10) pics added

Yeah!
big_smile.png

Woke up this morning to one pip and three dents! Fortunately or unfortunately I have to work until 5 pm so I can't follow their progress, but I won't be temped to open the bator and help.

Can't wait to get home tonight.

yay! i had one hatch yesterday (day 19) and had three more when i got up this morning, so four chicks hatched out of my ten that i think are viable (one blue egg has looked clear through incubation, but it was a pullet's FIRST--incubated it on a whim , but never could see development). one more is starting to zip! should have five by the beginning of day 20 (around noon).

i have three in there for whom this is either day 19 or 18, so not sure when they may make an appearance. then it's only day 20 for 2 i haven't seen anything from yet. so i am feeling hopeful. there's pics of my babies, etc. on the "java thread" in breeds subforum.

Nothing happening here yet for me. I have 5 in the 'bator +1 questionable one. This is only day 20. My temps and humidity have been spot on.
fl.gif

***update***

In the last hour I just saw one pipping egg and 3 more rolling around. The littlest egg isn't doing anything yet. Oh and I heard some peeping! I was going to relax with a glass of wine, but I better not. I want to stay up for this. Interesting that all this started happening just at the beginning of the 21st day.
fl.gif
pop.gif

Last edited:
i have five now hatched, one is pipping and looks very active. i assume i'll have six by tonight, of ten assumed viable (good at lockdown). two of four left are just now at day 18 or 19, so i'll have to be patient! the last two unhatched are on day 20.

Sounds like everyone is moving along. when I got home my DH wasn't wanting to talk to me. Seems my Kamikazi chicks kept climbing out of the box that was my turner on to the wire and then onto floor in to the water and light bulb. every 15 mins he was rescuing a chick and finally got some wire on one side and stuffed newspaper around the other edges. All safe. i was very concerned that one egg that had pipped a small hole might have gotten too dried out and watched in for about 3 hours and finally broke the cardinal rule about opening the bator--like it hadn't already been done all afternoon-- and looked at the egg. I could see a chick moving though the pip and put it back. Waited for for some action for another 2 hours and finally checked again and carefully picke about 1/4 inch of shell in a zipping direction and put the egg back. With in 45 minutes the chiken had zipped the rest and popped out and was climbing all over the other chicks. I now have 5 hatched and are waiting on 5 more. One has a pip this morning so I will probably miss it again while at work.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
yay! that is great. i had to open my hatcher several times...always just sprayed a ton of warm water in, opened it as small an opening as possible, and got back out quickly. watched the hygrometer and it never dropped below 69% even during after opening (digital, so it reflects changes in readings fast). i am not one to be radical about not opening the bator or about not helping. i just try to be as minimal as possible in anything i do.

i fell asleep by accident last night when i put the little kid back to bed after midnight, and forgot to wrap aluminum foil around the aquarium i am hatching in. there were 4 possible viable eggs and one that hatched last night before bed in there, and when i woke, it was NOT warm enough. down to about 94-96. so apparently my aquarium will have issues with losing heat once the room temp gets low at night--it was our first really cold night, and the house did get cooler for the first time. so i am not sure if i will have any of the remaining 4 hatch. one was refrigerated for a week or so before incubating, but developed well during candling, and the others should not have had any issues--unless they got too cool last night! we'll see. with six babies jumping around in the brooder, i can't complain.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom