Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Ok, lockdown starts this afternoon and I just weighed/candled everyone. All but two outliers have lost the appropriate amount of weight! The two cochins with weird %'s have perfect aircells though...so I'm thinking something was wonky with my scale during the initial weigh in...I have no idea.

Here's my system!

still 5 pips and peeping but no zipping. BUT UPS man just brought my ecoglow 20 so that will distract me for a few minutes. I have been playing mine momma hen noises to encourage them.........
D.gif

I am so excited! This is like planning a trip to the amusement park when you are 10!!! I really hope I am not in for a disappointment. I will need therapy for sure.

This is one of the reasons I always go into each incubation with NO expectation of anything hatching. Honestly. Every live hatchling is a miracle. If one chick hatches and survives, I am thrilled. If more hatch, I am ecstatic. I know I am not the Goddess and all the bells and whistles of good incubators and proper operation still does not guarantee live chicks.

I see so many folks get disappointed at low hatch rates. "Terrible hatch.". Really? Yah, many folks - myself included - often spend LOTS of money on eggs and they feel cheated if nothing hatches. I consider it money well spent - there are other addictions far more personally devastating. :lol:

That being said, Jmurph, your statement made me smile. I do know how crazed I get during incubator lockdown! This particular hatch, my new silkie is doing the work, which means I am hovering over her broody bin and probably annoying her with all the attention. I ask her, "How are your eggs doing?" and she Brrks at me in a companionable way. Not gonna reach in there and actually bother her physically.

I do hope Miss Sparkle hatches at least one chick out of the five eggs I gave her!

Woohoo! I locked down 3 hours early just because I need to work on other things :p

The live cam is up but I'll probably turn it off until I get pips :)

My 6 eggs are in lockdown as of this morning! I wasn't sure how to place the eggs so I just sort of rolled them around a little and let them settle. Is there a specific position I should have placed them in? Besides the obvious on their side? Will the chicks move around enough so the large part of the air sac is facing up? I know that once (or IF) one chick hatches the eggs tend to get jostled and rolled around so am I okay? I want to candle them so badly!!! AND I have to work all Friday and Saturday morning! I have tomorrow and thursday off. I am going to go crazy!

My 6 eggs are in lockdown as of this morning! I wasn't sure how to place the eggs so I just sort of rolled them around a little and let them settle. Is there a specific position I should have placed them in? Besides the obvious on their side? Will the chicks move around enough so the large part of the air sac is facing up? I know that once (or IF) one chick hatches the eggs tend to get jostled and rolled around so am I okay? I want to candle them so badly!!! AND I have to work all Friday and Saturday morning! I have tomorrow and thursday off. I am going to go crazy!

When I set up for lockdown I always place them with the lowest part of the aircell facing up. I think they settle this way, but I'm not sure. Did you candle them before you locked down?

When I set up for lockdown I always place them with the lowest part of the aircell facing up. I think they settle this way, but I'm not sure. Did you candle them before you locked down?

I candled them last night quickly, my three silkie eggs and one maran egg look great, I am unsure about the other two marans... I didn't set them down specifically and now I am kind of freaking out! I hope they will be okay.

Ok, lockdown starts this afternoon and I just weighed/candled everyone. All but two outliers have lost the appropriate amount of weight! The two cochins with weird %'s have perfect aircells though...so I'm thinking something was wonky with my scale during the initial weigh in...I have no idea.

Here's my system!

Ooh Data! :) I agree the cochin eggs are mismatched. egg 4 and 6 were probably closer to the 45 gm weight. Were they about the same size?
I keep checking for pips. *sigh* c'mon little chickies you can do it.

Susan (p.s. I like your spreadsheet! how did you get the cut and paste to look so nice?)

Back
Top Bottom