Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Another question...I asked this on the duck forum, but I am not sure how active it is at this hour. Since my ducks hatched this afternoon, I plan on putting them in the brooder soon. Do I offer them food and water or do I wait a day? I know I have to put their beaks in the water initially to "show them how to do it", but they seem so....little.

Sorry I dont know anything about ducks. I have read that when you first get them to only give a samll amount of water at first. I guess they can gorge and die.

What do you do with chickens? Do you give them water when you first put them in their brooder box. I've done searches and looked through my books, and I can't seem to come up with anything definitive. It seems like at the hatcheries, they just put them in a box and ship them since they have enough nutrition for three days from the yolk,,,,correct. The little duckies just seem soooo fragile.

You don't need to withhold water for ducklings you hatched. The restriction is for shipped ducklings, which are water starved by the time they arrive and drink too much. That's why you restrict their water intake at first.

I "call" ducklings to water by flipping two fingers on the surface to make the splashy sound. Ducklings are so much more curious than are chicks, and this has always drawn them to the water. Once one finds it, the others will learn from the first. You don't have to dip their bills into the water. Well, I never had to do that.

Last edited:
I am assiting the little porcelain silkie. I am following sally sunshines advice page. She is in the incubator with half her shell off and her inner membrane still intact. Her little beak is sticking out and she cheeps occasionally. I hope this works out. She is our only porcelain egg.

I am assiting the little porcelain silkie. I am following sally sunshines advice page. She is in the incubator with half her shell off and her inner membrane still intact. Her little beak is sticking out and she cheeps occasionally. I hope this works out. She is our only porcelain egg.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

My goodness a whole lot of pipping going on! Great! My day 21 is Saturday and there were a few days the bator ran on the cool side, so they could be a bit late, we'll have to see. 10 Buff Orpingtons for this weekend. All 7 of my duckies were looking good the other day when I candled, their due on the 16th along with 9 BO eggs which I'm going to go candle in a bit. I'm thinking they should be good tho.

And now I"m going to start saving more duck eggs and some from my EE girls, Welsummer and Wellie crosses for another hatch. Just waiting for some of them to show up fertile before I start saving them.

Aftetr 7 hours i got the porcelain silkie out! Her yolk sac was completely absorbed, i think she just ran out of energy. My hatch is offically over. Whew im tired. I set 24 silkies, 12 clears, 1 blood ring. 11 went to lockdown. 1 died after pipping. I have 3 buff, 1 paint, 1 porcelain , 1 partridge, 2 splash and 2 white! So happy :)

Back
Top Bottom