Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

The membrane was very dried out. Humidity up to 72% now and I wetted the exposed membrane with a damp warm cloth. Helped unzip to about 1/2 of the egg. Temp is back up to the 100. Chicks was cheeping a bit and seems to be ok.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

My first intervention is tapping on the incubator and making chicken sounds, and just talking to them to cheer them on when they are zipping. Sometimes this wakes them up and they start working really hard to get out. I do try to give them a break. Like let them rest for 15-30 min and then come chatter at them again for 5 or 10.
I also decided for myself that I have to commit to helping a 'special' chick if I have to help it out of the egg it might wind up with wonky legs and I have to commit to helping it get better.
I'm glad i did it this time. So few eggs made it to day 14, but every time I am hand watering this chick I'm feeling like I should look up how to humanely cull it.

from above how long has the duckling been resting? Do they rest longer after hatching?

Susan

Hey BarefootMom! How did you hang your water bottle? I have the same water tip on a bottle, but I haven't figured out the best way to hang it, I'm afraid it will fall on someone!
Susan
This one has the wire through the bottle like the instructions called for... but I have some more that I am making were I am hot glueing a line on the bottle to make a ridge. Then taking a piece of wire and putting it across the front of the bottle under the ridge and attaching the wire by wrapping it around screws that I have screwed 1/2 way in on either side of the bottle. Once I get it set up I will take some pics.

cool thanks Mom! I'm going to try something my hubby said, "can't you just do a wire wrap around it"? So like 2 circles, one on the small end, one up higher, then connect them with wire.

Could probably use rope as well...

Figuring it out today, as I just removed the papertowels and they FILLED the water dish with shavings, little buggers!

Susan

Here is the slow hatcher. Even with my zipping to about 3/4 aroung the egg, increasing hte humidity and wetting the membrane this chick has not moved. The beak has been in the same spot since 5 pm yesterday. The chick unziped from the left of the beak and I unzipped the right side.
It chirps alot and is trying to push out but no luck. Should I finish the unzip or wait? I wont be able to help again for another 6 hours.

well I checked the 8 eggs I had in the bator (in a steamed up bathroom, thanks for the tip!) no movement, no chirping. I float tested them and they were barely breaking the surface. I eggtospied and some looked I guess shrink wrapped, I have a few that hadn't absorbed the yolk and was turned a little funny, the others were upside down in the egg.
sad.png
They were all moving after I moved the ones that had hatched out. I don't know what happened. With them being upside down. I lay my eggs in the bator on their side but kinda tilt them big end up. Dang this whole hatch was not so good. I think I've game myself gray hair!! Well I do have 6 healthy chicks so that's a blessing!

Susan- here are some pics -

I put in the 2 liter bottle, but I still think it needs some tweaks lol - But anyhow some pics -

This is just another holder for the 20oz bottles-- it is on the other side of the brooder though and I won't use it until they get a little older.

This is how I hung the first one, but I don't like it.

A
nd I made a you tube video last night of my chicks... shows them using the bottle about a 1 or so in. Video is only 2 min long.

Last edited:
Help it out. I had one who had zipped into a weird position and couldn't right itself, so I had to tear the top of the egg off. He was so tired that he just laid on the floor of the incubator for awhile. I turned off the light and let it rest and now he's good as new :)

A lot of times chicks with dried membranes need to be assisted, otherwise they exhaust themselves and die. They just can't move around very well.
Here is the slow hatcher. Even with my zipping to about 3/4 aroung the egg, increasing hte humidity and wetting the membrane this chick has not moved. The beak has been in the same spot since 5 pm yesterday. The chick unziped from the left of the beak and I unzipped the right side.
It chirps alot and is trying to push out but no luck. Should I finish the unzip or wait? I wont be able to help again for another 6 hours.

Susan- here are some pics -

I put in the 2 liter bottle, but I still think it needs some tweaks lol - But anyhow some pics -

[edit]

And I made a you tube video last night of my chicks... shows them using the bottle about a 1 or so in. Video is only 2 min long.

Thank you! That's so awesome. I love how it takes just one to try it then there's a mob of them getting in on the water dispenser.
Mine are freaked out by the thing still. I'll try to get a pic of my contraption. I use a rubbermaid tub as a brooder so I had to attach it over the top.
Susan

Back
Top Bottom