Setting Feb 16, want to join in>

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by maryhysong, Feb 15, 2013.

1. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    OK I wasn't going to hatch any more right now, just got the Dec babies all outside a couple weeks ago. BUT! I have a real meaner roo going to freezer camp this weekend and decided to go ahead and collect and hatch some eggs before I put the girls in with another roo.

So I'm setting eggs tomorrow; there should be 6 Welsh Harlequin duck and 8 or 10 Buff Orpingtons. Any one else setting eggs this week?

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Set some this morning [​IMG] Finally got them through the mail; 25 buckeyes, 15 new hampshire, a Faverolles and a Light sussex. 42 in all! [​IMG] The bator is stuffed! Fingers crossed, hopefully we get an alright hatch rate with the shipped biddies

3. frankensusan

frankensusan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Escondido, CA
    me! I'm setting eggs tonight :)

Susan

4. heyheypaula

heyheypaula Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    I set some eggs this morning as well!

4 Blue copper marans
    4 blue splash marans
    3 blue orpington
    1 lavendar oprington
    3 blue silkies
    3 red silkies
    2 bantam barnevelders
    4 belgian antwerp quail

Fingers crossed! They are all shipped so I hope they do okay!

5. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    Awesome; I'm going to wait until I collect eggs tomorrow afternoon then set mine. Have the bator up and running now to check the temps

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Just set 48 eggs this morning! I haven't hatched any since last spring, so I am a bit out of practice. These are just mixed- the chickens are:light bramas. ee. buff orphentons. indian rivers. quail bantems. cochin. cinamons. rhoad islands. roos quail bantum silkys and americana . I bought them from a local lady that says eggs and said she had more eggs than she could sell! Paid $2 a dozen. She has 4 roosters with 30 hens so there is a pretty good chance of them being fertile. :) I haven't had any chickens on the place since September so I can't wait!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  7. CrzyCknLady

CrzyCknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    I just set 28 in my second bator last night so technically, today is day one for those. I pulled 12 from my own coop (6 EE/BO or BR and 6 other mutt's or possible BR's) and then I have 16 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten's that I ordered. My group is the "control" group and the others are the experimental group......

I just went into lockdown with 22 of my own barnyard mix too - I had to pull one that died in the last 48 hours - it was losing a lot more weight than everyone else and he was shrink wrapped. It looked like he was a pure BR.....boo hoo! Hopefully I have a decent hatch - some of the eggs haven't lost a lot of weight (10% or so) so I am nervous - even though I kept my humidity low the whole time......

I have more OE's and Maran's coming next week to set too.....which is why I am building a 3rd incubator today. :) I think this might be a sickness. [​IMG]

8. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I set 29 silkie eggs this morning!

9. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    I started on the morning of the15th and want to join in too:) We set 20 B/B/S Orpington eggs and 2 mutt eggs that my daughter and I picked out randomly from our mixed flock. We love surprises:)

10. pcreel

pcreel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Florida
    I'd like to join please....
    New hatcher here, I set 20 mixed of my own 2/14=10, 2/15=08, 2/16=02
    I failed two eggs last month on my first try. One chick was mostly develpoed though bottom of stomach was opened????
    The other chick was the size of a quater very small. My fault i'msure. I did not have water in the bator till lockdown. I had no humidity gauge. Running still air and the glass themo that came with the bator. Though after alot of reading I have learned alot and hope to improve my hatching skills.
    Im using a LG with a turner and a cpu fan I just installed last night. I have 3 seperate gauges for both humidity and temp. bottom, middle and top of eggs. I have the dish of water and the sponge. I'm running a constant temp of 100.3 humidity is 20 - 45% shooting for 35% but it is difficult to keep.
    Could i or should I do anything else before its too late?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by