Setting first eggs tomorrow - 3/23

Yay! How cool! It will be nice to have someone with experience! Very neat selection of breeds, too. Once I have hatching down a little better I am hoping to get some marans and heritage RIR. Some of our eggs right now are polish mixes. Very tricky with shipped eggs, especially detached air cells. One of mine had one and one seemed loose... I don't know if that's a thing, haha. It was the store bought eggs, so no real surprise. I marked them and put them in anyhow.

Everyone feel free to post progress and pictures! I've already failed in keeping pictorial records, (busy week, my mom is visiting!) but maybe I'll start now. Thanks so much for joining me! And Toast n Jelly, thanks for the bump
hugs.gif
You're welcome! Love happy endings or in this case....Happy beginnings!

Store bought eggs?? Like fertile trader joes eggs?
Yep! Only in this care they are Rock Island Brown Fertile Eggs. It seems like people have a hard time hatching the brown fertile eggs, and these were 10 days old so I threw them in more for fun than because I thought they would develop. It would be cool, though!

Hi! I set 42 eggs on 3/22 so I'm just a day before you. :) They're all shipped eggs. Kinda nervous and excited for them, I've never had shipped eggs. I have 16 black and blue copper marans, 3 frizzles, and the rest are a barnyard mix of Orpingtons, Welsummers, Easter Eggers and something else. I can't recall at this time. lol

ETA: The Frizzles are mine, not shipped.

Last edited:
I will be your buddy!!
I set 16 last night sat 3/23. 3 marans. 3 araucanas. 3 brown leghorns. 3 rhode islands. 2 golden lakenvelder And 2 polish. They are shipped eggs. 3 had detached airs. And 2 were cracked. Hoping for at least 40%. I've been hatching for about 5 years now and each time I still get anxious!
Talk about my mix?!? Lol super jealous of yours! Eventually I will have some Polish in my flock. ;) Hope yours hatch well!! I was lucky, mine were shipped perfectly. No cracks and no detached air cells. Were yours shipped by air?

USPS priority. I assume at some point they were in the air. It did take 4 days of shipping though. :(. They were wrapped perfectly. But I have a theory that boxes that say hatching eggs on them are subject to disgruntled postal workers.
This is my 3 rd time hatching eggs from this breeder and I've always had good hatching rates from her eggs. But with the box looking the way it did and the air cells being damaged I'm not holding my breath. It's always a gamble. A chicky hatching addiction for sure.

That would totally rock. How many eggs total do you have in the bator? Do you have your brooder and coop already?
We have 24 "Barnyard Specials" and 11 Store Bought, so 35 total. We have a coop almost built, but we have 45 chicks (most about a month old, 6 bantams that are a week or two younger) that we bought as chicks. Anyway, our coop won't hold all of them. Chicken math got us quick! So we'll have to build another coop or something. We will be rehoming some of the girls as they get closer to laying :(
Hi! I set 42 eggs on 3/22 so I'm just a day before you. :) They're all shipped eggs. Kinda nervous and excited for them, I've never had shipped eggs. I have 16 black and blue copper marans, 3 frizzles, and the rest are a barnyard mix of Orpingtons, Welsummers, Easter Eggers and something else. I can't recall at this time. lol

ETA: The Frizzles are mine, not shipped.
So glad you joined us! This is so much fun! Our barnyard mixes are lots of cool breeds, I really hope they hatch. I'm so excited to see how everyone's chicks do. What incubators are you all using? Ours is the Genesis 1580 with automatic turner. First time hatching! Keeping humidity right around 55 right now and temp at 100.

I currently have 2 tabletop Lg's with turners. Still air. I may be retiring them after this year though and switch to a Rcom. It's digital so keeps a steady humidity and temp automatically! Which would be bliss.

Back
Top Bottom