Setting first eggs tomorrow - 3/23

I
After setting my eggs yesterday I started to get really nervous...I'm telling yah haha
First they wouldn't stay with the x side up (I don't have a turner I'm doing it manually). So I spent last night cutting up egg cartons so they can rest on top of those so be easily turned and kept track of.
Then I woke up this morning and noticed the incubator was at 102 degrees....I turned it down but do you think this will be a problem? It is a still air incubator...

If your using a still air 102 is perfect. If your using one with a fan they need to be at 99.5. Lethal for one with a fan is 103. And 107 for still air.

I

If your using a still air 102 is perfect. If your using one with a fan they need to be at 99.5. Lethal for one with a fan is 103. And 107 for still air.

Sorry maybe I should expand on that a little...
Those are I guidelines I go by and they work for me. Everybody has a procedure that works best for them. Keep an eye on the chicks when they hatch. If they hatch early the temps were to high. If they hatch late they were to low. To a note pad of temps and make adjustments to the temps in the future. You will find what you are comfortable with and what works for you.

After setting my eggs yesterday I started to get really nervous...I'm telling yah haha
First they wouldn't stay with the x side up (I don't have a turner I'm doing it manually). So I spent last night cutting up egg cartons so they can rest on top of those so be easily turned and kept track of.
Then I woke up this morning and noticed the incubator was at 102 degrees....I turned it down but do you think this will be a problem? It is a still air incubator...
I've seen people mention this a lot and I don't think it's a problem. I wouldn't worry :)

Thanks everyone for the help! I have it sitting between 100 and 101 now, I am thinking this might be a tiny bit low but I don't want to mess with the temperature too much anymore so I'll let it go. I'm hoping the humidity is ok as well but I'm doing a dry hatch so the humidity has been between 35 and 40 so once I do the first candle I should have a better idea.

i will join ya on this incubating deal, i have some in thhe incubater i put in last night, i have some experince in chickens, i have 5 chicks that hatch today. im always willing to learn more or share info learnt

We have 24 "Barnyard Specials" and 11 Store Bought, so 35 total. We have a coop almost built, but we have 45 chicks (most about a month old, 6 bantams that are a week or two younger) that we bought as chicks. Anyway, our coop won't hold all of them. Chicken math got us quick! So we'll have to build another coop or something. We will be rehoming some of the girls as they get closer to laying :(
So glad you joined us! This is so much fun! Our barnyard mixes are lots of cool breeds, I really hope they hatch. I'm so excited to see how everyone's chicks do. What incubators are you all using? Ours is the Genesis 1580 with automatic turner. First time hatching! Keeping humidity right around 55 right now and temp at 100.
I've got them in a Tractor Supply special lol Little Giant. It's holding it's temp really well and I've compared 3 diff thermometers. I'm crossing my fingers for a good hatch. I've got a turner in there and I'm monitoring the humidity as well. As soon as I can force myself to do it, I'm going to upgrade incubators. I've got a Hova Bator that I borrowed from my sister and 2 Little Giants going.

I also jumped the gun and candled 2 of my frizzle eggs last night lol One has tiny veins starting! Woo hoo!!!

Last edited:
i will join ya on this incubating deal, i have some in thhe incubater i put in last night, i have some experince in chickens, i have 5 chicks that hatch today. im always willing to learn more or share info learnt
That's great! It will be so helpful to have people with experience under their belt.
I've got them in a Tractor Supply special lol Little Giant. It's holding it's temp really well and I've compared 3 diff thermometers. I'm crossing my fingers for a good hatch. I've got a turner in there and I'm monitoring the humidity as well. As soon as I can force myself to do it, I'm going to upgrade incubators. I've got a Hova Bator that I borrowed from my sister and 2 Little Giants going.

I also jumped the gun and candled 2 of my frizzle eggs last night lol One has tiny veins starting! Woo hoo!!!
That's great! I'm glad it is working so well for you. I've heard mixed reviews, but it sounds like everything is going perfectly. And veining!!
wee.gif
That's so great! I'm so excited to see what they look like when we candle them.

I noticed a lot of our eggs are very porous and so I'm trying to keep the humidity above 50. I think I need to add more water but I'm really nervous to. Any tips? I know the mother chicken gets off her nest at times, so it shouldn't hurt them to be out for a minute or two, but yikes! I'm going to add food coloring this time so I can see the water levels.

Here's some of mine set on the 16th :) a little earlier than all of yours but hope it still counts, this is my first incubating experience so wish me luck! And good lunch with yours!

Back
Top Bottom