setting question??

caral07

Songster
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Ruston Louisiana
So yesterday my Minorca hen started setting on her 12 eggs. She set all night but as soon as day break came she got off to get water and poop and when she went to get back on her nest there was a RIR hen in her spot. She got mad and hollered, but I had to go to work so I left. When I came back she was in a new nest with new eggs. I decided I would move her and her eggs to a cage, but when I did she went crazy. So I put her back in which she went right back to normal. So my question is (since this is my first time for any of my hens to set) what do I do? Will she keep changing nest? I want her to set really bad, but she has to stay on them and stand her ground, what do I do??

yes, she will keep changing nests as long as another hen pushes her out of a nest..

I ran into the same problem of trying to force one into a safe cage.. It seems they have to choose where they want to set..

nest stealing is a favorite game that hens like to play..

It is always difficult to have a hen nesting in the same nests where other hens are laying eggs..

You have to watch for hens adding to the clutch.. Mark all the first eggs and then daily remove the new unmarked eggs..

do you have a separate area that you can move the cluck to? give her some junk eggs until she settles in to sit.. then remove the junk eggs and give her a batch of fertile eggs.. she might even get over being broody.. it is a toss-up..

Quote:
good advice. Also, you could try transferring the entire nest to the cage... As in nesting material included. That way it is the exact nest she was sitting on first...
tongue.png

Quote:
good advice. Also, you could try transferring the entire nest to the cage... As in nesting material included. That way it is the exact nest she was sitting on first...
tongue.png

I agree with this also.. worth a try//

Okay so I am going to wait till it gets dark to put her in the cage. I will do my best to get her to set. I will keep you guys posted.

So I just went out and she is starting to hold her ground more. The only thing is she doesn't seem to be bothered by the hens but in the morning. Anyone know why that might be?
hu.gif

The other hens are probably trying to lay in the nest while she goes out and does her business, because they know she will sit on them for the lazy hens...

Back
Top Bottom