Setting Safeway eggs..... Yikes... see thread on 3 legged chick

Ack. If that's the case then I'd say he's got a bad roo or hen. Well not "bad", just...ones that produce badly damaged reproductive cells.

It's possible, but it's usually a sign of an old hen at the final stage of egg-laying. Or, as I said, she's just got a lousy rooster with bad swimmers. At the very least, I hope it's not cancer. :/

No idea. I'm assuming that all of them were from random Safeway eggs. 
the one with one eye and four legs was from one of his hens, he said I think.
when I googled check with 4 legs after seeing that little odd long it brought me to this thread...but the hen that laid this egg is from my all natural free range personal flock. The mom is a salmon faverolle, the dad a buff orpington. Which makes sex links. Or at least the ones that turn into chickens are sex links. I have hatched 2 other sets off these same birds earlier this year with zero issue..but the hen laid like 5 eggs in this batch and then just stopped laying... she keeps trying to lay but nothing happens. I'm pretty sure that something inside of her is terribly wrong at this point. If you guys think it isn't just some strange egg splitting mishap... All the other early quitters removed last night were normal...

Oh and all my adult birds are from last spring. Right before winter I sell most of my flock keeping a few favorite hens and roosters... so no old birds here. I rarely keep any longer than a year or 2

Last edited:
when I googled check with 4 legs after seeing that little odd long it brought me to this thread...but the hen that laid this egg is from my all natural free range personal flock. The mom is a salmon faverolle, the dad a buff orpington. Which makes sex links. Or at least the ones that turn into chickens are sex links. I have hatched 2 other sets off these same birds earlier this year with zero issue..but the hen laid like 5 eggs in this batch and then just stopped laying... she keeps trying to lay but nothing happens. I'm pretty sure that something inside of her is terribly wrong at this point. If you guys think it isn't just some strange egg splitting mishap... All the other early quitters removed last night were normal...

Oh and all my adult birds are from last spring. Right before winter I sell most of my flock keeping a few favorite hens and roosters... so no old birds here. I rarely keep any longer than a year or 2
if she is indeed having issues laying get like you say, she's gotta be miserable. If you've been unable to alleviate her pain with warm Epsom salt soaks and lubrication in her vent, it may be the point to ask yourself if she is having good quality of life. If the answer is no then I would cull and see what's going on inside of her.

Back
Top Bottom