Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

matlock585

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2011
White Bluff, TN
Hi everyone.
I'm setting some Bourbon Red turkey eggs in my bator tonight, and plan to set some eggs from my hens in with them in a week. The chickens are Blue/Black orpingtons and big beautiful girls with a handsome roo watching over them.
I bought the turkey eggs from an ebay auction and the seller was here in TN with me, so they didn't ship too far. Out of 8 eggs 7 look good enough to set, and if I just get one pair out of that I'll be happy.
If anybody else is setting eggs around now, please join in and tell me how it's going. I'm really hoping to find a couple people to talk to during the incubation because my co workers don't care to hear about it. LOL
Hopefully somebody will ride along with me.

I'll be setting 18 assorted bantams, 12 ISA Brown (just to see what hatches), 20+ olive eggers and Ameraucana, and 12+ turkey eggs on the 14th.

The plus will include whatever I collect tomorrow, less any turkey egg orders that close by tomorrow.

I started setting some today, does that count? Day 21 will be 6/4.

Our first cycle of ALL our own eggs! We have:

4 Swedish Flower Hen
7 Hedemora
1 Isbar (if it hatches it will be splash)
13 bantam double-laced silver Barnevelders

fl.gif

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm so glad to have a few people to follow along with. I'll be adding my chicken eggs to the turkey eggs Monday night, and lock down will be June 5th. So far I have 10 eggs collected from my hens and I expect another 8 or 9 by Monday to add to the mix. Good luck to you all, and I'll be anxious to hear candling updates and what not. My first candling will be next Friday, so I'm just turning eggs and crossing fingers till then.
fl.gif

BTW, what type of incubator are you all using? I'm using my trusty old home made styro bator. It's the 60 watt light bulb, pc fan, and water heater thermostat combo. I've probably hatched a couple hundred eggs from it, and I even salvaged it from a total loss house fire. I think after this go round I'm going to go on and retire it due to the fact that it's next to impossible to find a 60 watt bulb around here now, and the thing just looks terrible. I'm going to try to make a new design with an alternate heating source.

Awesome! I'm so glad to have a few people to follow along with. I'll be adding my chicken eggs to the turkey eggs Monday night, and lock down will be June 5th. So far I have 10 eggs collected from my hens and I expect another 8 or 9 by Monday to add to the mix. Good luck to you all, and I'll be anxious to hear candling updates and what not. My first candling will be next Friday, so I'm just turning eggs and crossing fingers till then.
fl.gif

BTW, what type of incubator are you all using? I'm using my trusty old home made styro bator. It's the 60 watt light bulb, pc fan, and water heater thermostat combo. I've probably hatched a couple hundred eggs from it, and I even salvaged it from a total loss house fire. I think after this go round I'm going to go on and retire it due to the fact that it's next to impossible to find a 60 watt bulb around here now, and the thing just looks terrible. I'm going to try to make a new design with an alternate heating source.

Shop Exo Terra for ceramic reptile heating elements. They screw into a medium base bulb socket and come in various wattages.

Last edited:
I set 20 Russian Orloff and 9 Wheaten Ameraucana shipped eggs yesterday. Mind if I join in? This is my first attempt and may have a lot of rookie questions.....

I'm using a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance with the humidity pump.

Back
Top Bottom