Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

I forget if anyone is setting shipped eggs but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Here is a great article on shipped eggs. I'm really trying to increase my hatch rate this time. Please read:
https://mbasic.facebook.com/notes/f...beth-white-via-cheryl-shires/548615281826504/

Thanks for posting that! Most of my eggs (24) were rested for 24 hours while I waited for the second psckage which arrived in much worse shape. (5 intact but detatched air cells, one cracked beyond repair) I rested them for only 4 hours so I could get them in the bator with the others.

Turner was off for the first 3 days, I didn't feel comfortable leaving it off longer. Nice thing is the Brinsea turns super slow so maybe that will help, but I really don't have much hope for those 5 wheaten ameraucana eggs.

I am so glad to be on this thread, is is really going to help me keep track of the days! I read the shipped eggs article too and while I try to get local eggs whenever I can and I have not had a lot of success with shipped eggs, I keep trying! Ah the eternal optimist, spending money on shipping eggs... I have the two shipped peafowl eggs in at a 45 degree angle because apparently they don't like to be upright. I guess I can wait longer to begin turning them... the article suggested 7 days and that probably is good advice. I am going to keep my hands off of them for a while still. I set 24 duck eggs too.

Ok! So, DAY 4!!!! Every one of my eggs, duck and chicken alike has clear pronounced veining! My incu-eggspert friend just swung by and left me her super bright candler and checked for viability and we have it! I'm so excited! Even my Turken egg has veining!

I love hearing that I'm not the only one with a family that is extremely bored of hearing about my chickens and incubating! Do you mind if I join in? There is a bit of a story behind my chickens and this batch but I guess I can condense it. Well it all started at the end of last year when I hatched 5 chicks from shipped eggs brought off of eBay, it turned out that I got 3 cocks and 2 hen which isn't too bad but could of been better. Geraldine had just started to lay just as we got rid of the two last cockerels, so I thought about a week later why there is a chance her eggs might be fertile why not bung them in. There are four eggs that have been put in on Wednesday and one on Thursday. Nothing might come of it but I thought why not whilst I've got the chance and I might as well share it with you fab bunch if you'll have me. Hope I didn't bore you all too much, Jack :)

Last edited:
Ok! So, DAY 4!!!! Every one of my eggs, duck and chicken alike has clear pronounced veining! My incu-eggspert friend just swung by and left me her super bright candler and checked for viability and we have it! I'm so excited! Even my Turken egg has veining!

That is awesome!!! I really want to hatch some Turkens... just because they are such cute babies! I have seen some mini Turkens online that I might have to try!

I love hearing that I'm not the only one with a family that is extremely bored of hearing about my chickens and incubating! Do you mind if I join in? There is a bit of a story behind my chickens and this batch but I guess I can condense it. Well it all started at the end of last year when I hatched 5 chicks from shipped eggs brought off of eBay, it turned out that I got 3 cocks and 2 hen which isn't too bad but could of been better. Geraldine had just started to lay just as we got rid of the two last cockerels, so I thought about a week later why there is a chance her eggs might be fertile why not bung them in. There are four eggs that have been put in on Wednesday and one on Thursday. Nothing might come of it but I thought why not whilst I've got the chance and I might as well share it with you fab bunch if you'll have me. Hope I didn't bore you all too much, Jack :)

Chicken stories are great. I hope your eggs are fertile, I bet they are. I love that you hatched your first chickens!

Just had a look now at turken chicks, they are sooo cute definitely considering getting some next time I incubate. Not sure but I don't think they are such a common breed in the England though.

Last edited:
Just had a look now at turken chicks, they are sooo cute definitely considering getting some next time I incubate. Not sure but I don't think they are such a common breed in the England though.
wouldn't that be something! They are also called Naked Necks. Surely you could find some :)

Well there are some naked necks but just not in the mass it sounds like they're available in the us! Just found some frizzle naked necks aww there even cute as adults. Do you just have the one turken egg in there at the moment? Sorry I'm sure you said! aha :)

Back
Top Bottom