Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

Looks like 3 viable eggs now! added two more they laid, hopefully When I raise the humidity for the first two I hope it doesn't overly harm the one and possibly two more developing now. Shall have to see.

Just put my 3out of what was 5 eggs into lockdown. Yay. But one of the eggs went into the incubator a day later so it's only on day 17 will this compromise the egg? I hope not as I'm not sure there's much I can do!
I think that should be fine!
Depends on the egg. Some show the air sac and nothing else, some seem to just be dark. The light is not passing completely through the egg, so I can't see both ends at one time. This, quite frankly, sucks. I did however manage to get a video unlike any I saw during the last hatch.
Awesome video!!!
I'm hoping this will work! Wish me luck!
that looks perfect!! Good luck!

I also LOVE Brinsea!! I had a cracked egg that was shipped to me and I used wax but it got a red ring in the first 3 days. Where is the crack? I think you have a good chance of saving it, if it is on the air cell. Try the wax or nail polish. Good luck! Keep us posted!
I did 3 coats of nail polish over the itty bitty crack, and put it back in the brinsea in between coats to stay warm and dry the polish. the peep is still swimming around like crazy, so fingers and toes crossed! Thanks for the help!

Lockdown tonight! The lone Swedish Flower Hen egg looks like it died around day 13 or so. It didn't fill the egg :(

It was hard to see movement this time though all of the other eggs were dark and filled. I was worried to death I had harmed them when the humidity (when it was humid outside) bumped the incubator up to like 60% in my Brinsea Octagon for a couple days. I would vent it a little (I cringed a little doing that too) so it'd drop to about 55%.

I hope they all do well.

It was hard to see movement this time though all of the other eggs were dark and filled. I was worried to death I had harmed them when the humidity (when it was humid outside) bumped the incubator up to like 60% in my Brinsea Octagon for a couple days. I would vent it a little (I cringed a little doing that too) so it'd drop to about 55%.

I've been running @31% for the 3 days from Day 7 to 10 as my average weight loss at day 7 was still a little under what is ideal. Someone on BYC has kinda dedicated themselves to the whole humidity thing (which I could remember whom) and her bottom line was we adjust humidity to get ideal weight loss. Too much weight loss and you run the risk of wrapping the chick in the inner membrane...too little, and there might not be enough air in the air sac. If you notice in some pics of eggs, you will see multiple air sac lines being drawn on the eggs. This is to watch the enlargement of the air sac. It helps people figure out where to puncture a shell to assist, but it also shows how the air sac is growing. Anyway, that is why you adjust humidity.

I would suggest you are keeping the humidity a tad too high (assuming you're around day 13). When you go into lockdown, you dramatically increase humidity to ensure the inner membrane can easily be punctured by the first pip, but prior to that you are trying to create a sufficiently large air sac to keep the chick alive till it pips the shell (which could be 24 hours or more after it pips the membrane). If you weighed the eggs before you put them in the bator, weighing them again will allow you to figure out how much weight loss has occurred. You're looking for 13% loss by day 21. You can calculate it yourself (current weight/original weight) -1, or tell me the figures and your incubation day and I will tell you where you're at.

Lockdown for me today, too. 5 Spangled Russian Orloffs look good and 3 Wheaten Ameraucana do too. I also have two eggs that probably quit a few days ago too, but left them in just because.

Humidity pump is working overtime to get the humidity up to 70%, even with both wells filled in the Brinsea. Ambient humidity dropped to 16% earlier today. I may have to add damp paper towels or sponges to help out.

I've been running @31% for the 3 days from Day 7 to 10 as my average weight loss at day 7 was still a little under what is ideal. Someone on BYC has kinda dedicated themselves to the whole humidity thing (which I could remember whom) and her bottom line was we adjust humidity to get ideal weight loss. Too much weight loss and you run the risk of wrapping the chick in the inner membrane...too little, and there might not be enough air in the air sac. If you notice in some pics of eggs, you will see multiple air sac lines being drawn on the eggs. This is to watch the enlargement of the air sac. It helps people figure out where to puncture a shell to assist, but it also shows how the air sac is growing. Anyway, that is why you adjust humidity.

I would suggest you are keeping the humidity a tad too high (assuming you're around day 13). When you go into lockdown, you dramatically increase humidity to ensure the inner membrane can easily be punctured by the first pip, but prior to that you are trying to create a sufficiently large air sac to keep the chick alive till it pips the shell (which could be 24 hours or more after it pips the membrane). If you weighed the eggs before you put them in the bator, weighing them again will allow you to figure out how much weight loss has occurred. You're looking for 13% loss by day 21. You can calculate it yourself (current weight/original weight) -1, or tell me the figures and your incubation day and I will tell you where you're at.
Tonight is day 18 though I was having humidity issues about 4 & 7 days ago. Unfortunately I didn't weigh the eggs (this is my second ever hatch) but we do have a small digital scale we'll try to implement next time (were going to do it this time then forget several days in). Humidity currently is about 61-62%.

Lockdown for me today, too. 5 Spangled Russian Orloffs look good and 3 Wheaten Ameraucana do too. I also have two eggs that probably quit a few days ago too, but left them in just because.

Humidity pump is working overtime to get the humidity up to 70%, even with both wells filled in the Brinsea. Ambient humidity dropped to 16% earlier today. I may have to add damp paper towels or sponges to help out.
Once they start popping it'll likely jump past 70%. I'd read but forgot hatching eggs increase humidity. During my last hatch I had the last few chicks have swollen bellies/rough navels, I think, because the moisture level was too high once most of the hatching was done. A few didn't even hatch, alas. Good luck with your hatch!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom