Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

Here's the instructions I go by for the float test. I'm not sure if you would see movement if they are not fully formed yet. What day are you on? I saw that you did the test but wanted to post a link because it has a lot of info! Good luck!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching
Congrats on your numbers!! Everything is looking good for your hatch!! Today is day 14 for me. Do you mind if I post my numbers for you tonight and you could help me calculate weight loss, whenever you have a chance?
Congrats!!!!! So eggciting!!!
Congrats on the hatch!!!
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

Better get home and catch those babies coming out!! Congrats!
Thanks, The goose egg is on day 14 now did the float test two days ago so day 12. The darkness in the egg is growing so I really can't see anything but the air sack now, and it is losing weight as it should,a bit too much so raising the humidity now. Having trouble getting it above 39% humidity. Have added 4 small bowls of water and now a wet towel, but still the best I have gotten is 39% so far. With just two small bowls of water I was at 33% humidity on average. I thought when I added the towel I'd get closer to 50% or more, but not yet. :/

From all I have ready (I have only ever had 1 hatch), when a chick has an unabsorbed yolk, you want to keep him in the bator with high humidity, IOWs, do nothing...a drop in humidity could make that yolk unavailable to him. On reason it might have ruptured is a loss of humidity and the abrasiveness of the wire mesh floor, which coulda happened by taking the cover off. Remember why they call it "lockdown", and why I said earlier they would be fine to day 23-24?

#1 The chick is fine
#2 He was on paper towels that I put in before lock down, not wire mesh
#3 I understand the term "lockdown" just fine. I pulled him out to make sure he wasnt still bleeding AFTER hed fluffed out and i got home from work.
#4 He hatched on day 18, so day 23-24 would have been pushing it pretty hard.

Thanks, The goose egg is on day 14 now did the float test two days ago so day 12. The darkness in the egg is growing so I really can't see anything but the air sack now, and it is losing weight as it should,a bit too much so raising the humidity now. Having trouble getting it above 39% humidity. Have added 4 small bowls of water and now a wet towel, but still the best I have gotten is 39% so far. With just two small bowls of water I was at 33% humidity on average. I thought when I added the towel I'd get closer to 50% or more, but not yet. :/

If you are in a Styrofoam bater, use some tape to seal the lid. Tape doesn't stick to Styrofoam the way it does other things, so it shouldn't have any affect when removed. But honestly, there must be some air movement near the bator, so see if you can't put it somewhere that's not happening...a closet?

#1 The chick is fine
#3 I understand the term "lockdown" just fine. I pulled him out to make sure he wasnt still bleeding AFTER hed fluffed out and i got home from work.

Ty for teaching me, as I said, I've only ever had one hatch.

Has anyone noted if bantam or smaller eggs take longer to zip from pipping? There's been a crack in one egg for at least 9 hours, not a whole lot of external progress but I heard it peeping so that's encouraging.

The large fowl eggs seemed to crack much faster. But I do notice smaller eggs, for me anyway, are nice thick eggs. I wondered if they take longer to chisel...

Some eggs can take up to 24 hrs to start zipping after an external pip. And some get right to it!! What is important is that once they actually start zipping it should take about 2 hours. The hardest part is waiting after you see that little pip! Congrats on it though! Should be today!!

Bad news. All the other eggs DIS. Two were upside down and the 3 others were super sticky. I found that there was a second turken and he was upside down but his head was swollen. Like jiggly to the touch swollen. Any ideas???:hit

I don't know a lot about malpostition chicks. Besides, if you set them wrong with the fat end down. But a lot of people lately have had chicks die because of this. Were those eggs shipped? I'm going to do some research on malpostition. I'll let you know what I find out.

So you are at 11.8% weight loss, and ideal for day 14 is 8.7%, so your humidity has been too low

I would increase it by 15%-20%

Ugh! Really?! I'm really torn now because the air cells look good. And my humidity is in the 40%'s. I am going to add a couple drops of water each day between now & lockdown. I can't thank you enough!!

#1 The chick is fine

So you broke lockdown on day ?? and as you stated, for no reason, so pls, why did you?

Lets keep in mind that there are two different hatching philosophies. One is the hands-off method and the other is the hands-on method. There is a huge thread about it: "He said/she said, who's right/who's wrong". The most important thing to each philosophy is getting healthy hatches with a good hatch rate. Both have success. I would recommend if you are not having success to talk to some seasoned hatchers with the opposite philosophy and incorporate some of their methods into your own style. I, personally have taken good advice from both methods and found my own way, that works for me. Lets try to get the best hatches possible, using which ever method helps us achieve that!! :)
1f423.png

Lets keep in mind that there are two different hatching philosophies. One is the hands-off method and the other is the hands-on method. There is a huge thread about it: "He said/she said, who's right/who's wrong". The most important thing to each philosophy is getting healthy hatches with a good hatch rate. Both have success. I would recommend if you are not having success to talk to some seasoned hatchers with the opposite philosophy and incorporate some of their methods into your own style. I, personally have taken good advice from both methods and found my own way, that works for me. Lets try to get the best hatches possible, using which ever method helps us achieve that!!
smile.png
1f423.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/978237/she-said-he-said-whos-right-whos-wrong-no-one
thumbsup.gif

This is a good thread. We acknowledged that very often people will get conflicting advice from BYC members. Amy and I have completely different hatching techniques, but we both get good results. This is a thread where you can see many different hatching styles and get advice from people that do things different ways. It's also a fun thread, with plenty of
smack.gif

Last edited:
Kzane23, you broke the lockdown rule, a perfectly natural first hatch thing to do, but it affects what happened, and so what you learned. What you forgot, is what a brooding chicken does. She can't do any of the things you could think of, and everything you can think of that she can't do, you should not do. So, you have to toss almost all you learned from this hatch and remember one thing...do nothing till day 23.
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. NTBugTraq, I am exactly like you, set them, lockdown, don't take them out until the hatch is complete. I won't assist a hatch, if they die in the shell it wasn't meant to be, and I totally shut down everything on day 23. I don't want to see what comes out of an egg after that. But...
Lockdown isn't a "rule". Many people are much more hands on, and some do so with great results. @AmyLynn2374 is a perfect example. She is constantly meddling during lockdown, taking chicks out as they hatch, and assisting if she feels it is needed. Her last hatch was 92% in a styrofoam LG, which is pretty darn impressive to me.
I don't recommend that any first time hatcher assist any hatch, and I don't assist at all, but some people are comfortable doing things while others are not. Saying to "toss all that you learned from this first hatch" is a bit much, and saying "remember one thing" is just plain arrogant. I have done many hatches myself, and it sounds like you and I incubate and hatch exactly the same way, but I am not naive enough to think that my way is the only way

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom