Setting up for Japanese Quail in the house

Yep, the horse ones. Somehow cheaper than the chicken ones at my D&B, but I'm fairly certain they're the same thing. I never crunched the numbers on what it would cost to keep quail on it full-time, but you'd think it would get you further than deep-bedding shavings. There was also a thread on here not too long ago about keeping quail indoors on straight dirt and essentially vermicomposting under their feet, which was super interesting to see done.

Great! I think I'll try this with a litter pan with sand for them and see how they like it.

Also, I just noticed you're in Boise. So am I!!! Hi neighbor :D

Hey neighbor! I almost took my quail inside this winter (I shouldn't have worried; they're doing fine in the cold). Oh, and I found that dirt thread -->here.

That's actually super cool, thanks for sharing! I think I'll try the pellets to start though. I do plan on bringing in some dirt from outside while they are chicks so they build some immunity! I did that with my chickens and it worked perfect.

That's actually super cool, thanks for sharing! I think I'll try the pellets to start though. I do plan on bringing in some dirt from outside while they are chicks so they build some immunity! I did that with my chickens and it worked perfect.

Ooh, a thing I can comment on! I have my group of 24 (ergh) inside for the winter while we get their permanent electric defended space in the greenhouse finished. I also bring in the dirt/granite sand from outside for baths and grit, and I'm gonna say this:

You NEED NEED NEED to install "fling guards" of maybe corrogated plastic on the inside walls all around the cage at least a foot up so that everything flung can fall right back into the cage pan.

It's bad yo. Trust me. I was gone for *two days* and now I'm pushing to get all mine installed by the end of the weekend.

Last edited:
Ooh, a thing I can comment on! I have my group of 24 (ergh) inside for the winter while we get their permanent electric defendeddefend in the greenhouse finished. I also bring in the dirt/granite sand from outside for baths and grit, and I'm gonna say this:

You NEED NEED NEED to install "fling guards" of maybe corrogated plastic on the inside walls all around the cage at least a foot up so that everything flung can fall right back into the cage pan.

It's bad yo. Trust me. I was gone for *two days* and now I'm pushing to get all mine installed by the end of the weekend.

Yeah, I was already thinking about this being the reality LOL. Here is the cage I'm looking at.

I like to have a front-gate so I don't have to reach in from the top every time and scare the bajeezus out of my chicks! Think it'll be enough to add "fling guards" to the back and side, leaving the front open? :confused:

We had quail in the garage. Maybe your 3-5 in the house might work, but birds are dusty to begin with. The quail I had lived to dust bathe. Mine were on wire, but coated wire, so their feet were fine. We sprinkled clay kitty litter on the poop tray, that was lined with paper for easier removal. My Walmart sold this for $3.50-$4/ 40lb bag. Never use anything with fragrance as birds have very sensitive respiratory systems.

You’ll likely try different things or tweak things and find a method that works for you. But, they love to dust bathe and they are dusty even without dust bathing.

Back
Top Bottom