setting up my first coop

Unfortunately no trees at all just all grass but yes we have the tools to cut windows etc in it.. Maybe we can put a wirly bird thing in the roof instal a large window on side that doesnt get direct sun plus the large door will be open to the run and run can be fully covered.. Ive heard that runs although start off as grassed turn to compacted dirt which is too hard for chooks to scratch would having a few shrubs and plants planted inside the run help with soil compaction they would also provide extra shade/natural cover and attract bugs

Yes the mesh is worth investing in, unless you can find someone who needs to get rid of their wire mesh. When I started the idea of wanting chickens to people I came across some one who had some chicken wire to get rid of. Every day was a treasure hunt for scrap wood, concrete blocks, anything that I thought would work. I gave myself time to gather up the items and stored them in the garage and shed until the day cane I started to build the hen house. Then I bought my chickens and it made me work harder to make it happen. I figure if it didn't work out then I knew that having chicken wasn't for me, however it did work in spite of some challenges and my whole family is happy with the birds and the tasty eggs. Have faith, be resourceful, study what others did and apply the lessons to your situation. Give yourself time to work it through. I prayed my way through each problem and God helped me with inspiration and solutions. You can do it and when you get going try posting a few pictures. There are a lot of people who are like you trying to figure it out on the best way to get started.
wink.png

What would be the best flooring for inside my coop.. Could deep litter method still work on concrete flooring or is there another method t use? Also flooring for my run will start out as grass until thats gone then i was thinking of adding garden mulch? We can get free graden mulch from our local dump would this be ok? Im not keen at all on using sand

Kimberlee, I literally got this coop delivered just the other day. I am certain it is the same coop. I got mine off of Amazon.com. I painted it with weather proof paint yesterday and will assemble it tomorrow. The wood isn't the best, and I'm sure it won't last more than a few years, but my husband and I lack any carpenter skills, so a kit has to work for us. I plan to build an additional run out of lawn fence, stakes and a tarp (for the time being). I guess if I were you, I might look around a bit more. This coop won't hold 6 chickens. I have 4 baby chicks (3 EE and 1 RIR), and it will barely fit them, I think. I've attached a link the coop I ordered. Looks identical, doesn't it? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWNF6KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes i got that but does the coop have to be 2x2m of enclosed space? Could it be half enclosed were nest boxes etc are and the other half just covered roof over some roosts?

My coop is small but lots of roosting space, they only use it for sleeping. They spend all their time in the run during the day. My coop is 4ft x 6ft x 6ft (1m x 2m x 2m?). I used a closet pole across the back and a roost ladder to.
It currently hold 24 chickens in it with some room to spare, mine like to squeeze together.

So our garden shed is 3x3 how many chickens could sleep in this and how big in meters would run need to be

Well, 3m =9ft and 9x9=81, and 81devided by 4 is 20.25, so you can have twenty and a fourth a chicken! No, I'm just kidding.
tongue.png
If all the floorspace is available, you can probably fit 20-24 chickens in there, easily. Just remember to give them plenty of roosting space, about 8-12 inches per bird, or just under a third a meter. Some things to consider:
You might want poop boards, to save bedding under the roosts becoming soiled overnight. BYCers seem to have conflicted feelings on poop boards, but it will make them easier if they are A. Water proof and easy to wipe off, B. Easy to reach, C. Come out in lightweight, easily maneuverable pieces, and D. sprinkled with sweet PDZ or a similar deodorizer- poop drier upper.
You might want t section off a part of the shed with chicken wire, so that only you can walk around that section, and it isn't part of the chickens coop. This can be used for storage, and depending on the feeder- you can fill up their food without having to go into the actual coop. This will, of course, reduce the number of hens you can have.
You might want to install an automatic door to close the girls in at night and let them out in the morning- without you being there.
How many hens do you want? What breeds will you get? :)

Definately not 20 chickens! Our council will allow 12 chooks max on our property. How big should the run be

Looking at heritage type breeds: Isa browns, plymouth, australorp, light sussex and wyandotte i think thats it these are the breeds we have easy access to

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom