Settle an argument for me

It sounds like you need an arrangement like I had for my in-town birds (and hope to duplicate here with permanent, larger facilities). That is, a coop attatched to a predator-hardened run so that you can safely leave the door open 24/7.

All 1/2" hardware cloth firmly fastened to a secure, roofed structure (mine was half wire and half solid), with an anti-dig apron. Electric in addition if you've got a high predator load.

They will wake up and come out when they want to. Heck not all of them will wake up and come out at the same time.

Indeed. They won't even come out at the same time on different days.

It's a cloudy morning and since I was off work I went out to tend the chicks an hour late and found them all still on the roost instead of down and eating already.

With your schedule, having them in a really safe coop and attached run, with the coop door open all the time, makes the most sense. That means a very safe run! We all have many predators, and most of us have learned the hard way that things aren't safe enough for the birds.
'Semi-safe' works until it doesn't, and then the birds suffer, and regrets pile up.
Mary

I don't trust my TSC coop, so it is currently inside the run. I keep the coop door open 24/7. My chickens get up early and go stir-crazy if they are not let out promptly at 5 am. We are in the planning stage of a larger coop that will be outside the run. I hope by the time we get to building it that hardware cloth will be available again locally. Right now you cannot find it at all where I live and shipping is ridiculously expensive.

Back
Top Bottom