1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Settling into the new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Portia, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Thought I'd share a picture of the girls settling in for the night in their new coop; of course they chose the top roost. They look so small in there compared to them bursting the seams of their brooder. This is the 3rd night in the coop and they went right in and started cooing and chittering happily. It's supposed to get down to 30, so I put up a brooder light in one corner so they had somewhere warmer to go if necessary. I use a remote thermometer that I keep next to the bed so I'm not such a nervous mama for the girls as they fledge into their coop versus sleeping in their brooder in the basement!
    [​IMG]

I also created my BYC web page to show the coop building process if anyone would like to see [​IMG]

Next we'll be building at tractor run that can be attached to the coop or used in the yard when the girls aren't free ranging. This is so fun! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    your chicks are very cute and healthy looking. My chicks are 5 weeks and I'm thinking they need to go out to the coop. I'm still a little nervous about the nights. right now we are having very warm weather but it is still spring. I like your idea of putting a heat lamp in the coop just in case. What kind of chickens are those?

3. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    what type of chick is the second chick from our left

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    They all look so comfy!!! [​IMG]

Don't forget to enter your coop page in the contest, it's still open to submissions! [​IMG]

Dawn

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    man thats a nice looking henhouse.yall are giving me the fever to build again.an i have 2 henhouses an 3 brooders.

6. Portia

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Thanks, all [​IMG]
    The chicks are...left to right 2 speckled sussex, 1 welsummer, 3 BR, 3 SLW, 1 Speckled sussex. I have 1 more welsummer, another speckled sussex and 3 black australorps, but they were down eating and preening.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  7. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    That looks fantastic, Portia! The girls look fabulous too! [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They look so comfy and happy. Beautiful girls. A welsummer...nice. I believe they lay a dark brown speckled egg. How cool.

9. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:Did you put them up there? Or did they segregate themselves that way? Interesting . . .

10. Portia

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Thats' how I found them. I thought it interesting also that they more or less segregated; that's why I ran and grabbed the camera....that and I was so happy that they were happy in the new coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by