Settling into the new coop

Portia

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
South Central PA
Thought I'd share a picture of the girls settling in for the night in their new coop; of course they chose the top roost. They look so small in there compared to them bursting the seams of their brooder. This is the 3rd night in the coop and they went right in and started cooing and chittering happily. It's supposed to get down to 30, so I put up a brooder light in one corner so they had somewhere warmer to go if necessary. I use a remote thermometer that I keep next to the bed so I'm not such a nervous mama for the girls as they fledge into their coop versus sleeping in their brooder in the basement!
IMGP4131.jpg

I also created my BYC web page to show the coop building process if anyone would like to see
woot.gif

Next we'll be building at tractor run that can be attached to the coop or used in the yard when the girls aren't free ranging. This is so fun!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
your chicks are very cute and healthy looking. My chicks are 5 weeks and I'm thinking they need to go out to the coop. I'm still a little nervous about the nights. right now we are having very warm weather but it is still spring. I like your idea of putting a heat lamp in the coop just in case. What kind of chickens are those?

man thats a nice looking henhouse.yall are giving me the fever to build again.an i have 2 henhouses an 3 brooders.

Thanks, all
hugs.gif

The chicks are...left to right 2 speckled sussex, 1 welsummer, 3 BR, 3 SLW, 1 Speckled sussex. I have 1 more welsummer, another speckled sussex and 3 black australorps, but they were down eating and preening.

Last edited:
They look so comfy and happy. Beautiful girls. A welsummer...nice. I believe they lay a dark brown speckled egg. How cool.

Thats' how I found them. I thought it interesting also that they more or less segregated; that's why I ran and grabbed the camera....that and I was so happy that they were happy in the new coop.

Back
Top Bottom