setup of a broody hen help i dont know what to do

ducksarecool12

Songster
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
oklahoma
i am getting 2 silkie chickens this week and if they go broody i want to hatch some eggs under them but i have buff orpington in my chicken run were the silkies are gonna go but what i am asking is when they go broody were do i put them and what do i do to care for them and all i need to know i dont have very much money pics of your broody setup and info would be great thanks
jumpy.gif

Ideally you separate a broody hen in a box of her own with access to food and water and an area to eliminate in. The broody will look after herself and her eggs and , of course, the chicks when they hatch(provided the eggs she sits on are fertile!)

The chicks will need to be kept with their mum and separate from the other hens for a while.

sandie

I built a very inexpensive "broody cage" with found lumber and hardware cloth. I built a little nest box that opens from the top, and enclosed it in a frame of hardware cloth that is 3 by 5. My broody White Leghorn appears comfortable in there, and she is about a week from hatching her first clutch of eight eggs. I think I may add a door on one of the sides, that way she can take the babies in and out easily, as the only way in or out right now is through the top.

I had 3 broodies at the same time. So I just put these wire dog carriers around the nest box each was in and provided food and water. I also put some mesh around the tops so the other chickens in the coop wouldn't roost on top of these cages. After a bit I moved the other chickens to a new coop and use this coop as my isolation coop whenever I need one. I have a sick bird in there right now
smile.png

51148_100_0660.jpg

51148_100_2785.jpg

Here is a pic from the inside of the cage. I just thought it was cute.

51148_100_0796.jpg

Last edited:
I think you have two basic options, you can plan on isolating here or you can let her hatch her eggs with the flock. There are risks both ways. Which way is best for you depends some on your set-up, some on your management techniques, and some on the personalities of your chickens. There is no one answer that is right for all of us. I think this thread gives some good information on both methods.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

If you do decide to let her try to hatch her eggs with the flock, it is very important to mark the eggs you want her to hatch and check under her daily so you can remove any other eggs.

Good luck! Glad you are planning ahead.

I let mine stay with the flock and it has worked well. I only seperated them at hatching, for about 36 hours. Once the chicks were fluffed out, she kept the other hens from them, and had them out free ranging when they chicks were 3 days old. They are 9 weeks old now, and give the other hens a great deal of respect, and will occasionally get a thump, but not real reintroduction issues. mk

Back
Top Bottom