Sevearly underwight!

May 2, 2020
Eastern Michigan
Hi, yesterday I bought 3 new chicks that are supposed to be 4 or 5 weeks. When I arrived at duck and coop hatchery, I quickly realized it was a chick mill. I now have 2 Plymouth Rocks, and an Olive Egger, at first, running, and doing anything that requires effort was hard for them, today they jump to the top of the brooder, and that takes effort! The get along well with all but 2 of our older chicks, so we have their closed brooder in the coop, I didn't think much of their underweightness or their laziness, but now I realize it is more than just stress! You can count the ribs of the poor babies. They got chilled in the rain, so are now under a heat lamp in the garage. I've been feeding oatmeal, with raisins, and honey, and nuts to help them, is there anything else I should be doing? Also, they are offered starter feed as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• 0610202005a.jpg
    0610202005a.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 0610202005.jpg
    0610202005.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 0610200913.jpg
    0610200913.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 12
I've been feeding oatmeal, with raisins, and honey, and nuts to help them, is there anything else I should be doing? Also, they are offered starter feed as well.

Chick starter. It's got more protein and vitamins/minerals than the oatmeal, the raisins, or the honey. So the chick starter really is the best thing for them. Keep it constantly available, and offer some wet as a treat if you think they need something more. (I don't know why, but getting it wet turns it into a wonderful delicacy, or so chickens tell me.)

If the chicks are healthy but underfed, and you let them have all the chick starter and water they want, they will eat as much as they need, and will be fine.

Chick starter. It's got more protein and vitamins/minerals than the oatmeal, the raisins, or the honey. So the chick starter really is the best thing for them. Keep it constantly available, and offer some wet as a treat if you think they need something more. (I don't know why, but getting it wet turns it into a wonderful delicacy, or so chickens tell me.)

If the chicks are healthy but underfed, and you let them have all the chick starter and water they want, they will eat as much as they need, and will be fine.
Tbanks!! The older ones love wet food, ill try it!

That's so horrible! How can people be so cruel?! :mad::barnie:he
I totally agree, they had great reviews also! Probably because a lot of people are bringing home chicks for the first time, they don't know what a healthy chick looks like. Also the large breed availability. But still, I may leave a lowly review, to help people chose a better hatchery!

I totally agree, they had great reviews also! Probably because a lot of people are bringing home chicks for the first time, they don't know what a healthy chick looks like. Also the large breed availability. But still, I may leave a lowly review, to help people chose a better hatchery!
Yes, I looked up duck n coop hatchery and everyone gave it great reviews, but when I read the reviews lots of people said it had bad service but still gave it 4 stars. Why? Poor caged chickens... I wonder what other hatcherys are cruel to chickens and are chick mills but just don't tell you.

Back
Top Bottom