Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
Side note: I'm going to clean the coop really thoroughly again this week and am wondering what is safe? Just Dawn dish soap and warm water? Can I use white vinegar on the glass?

Vinegar is very safe to use. I use a vinegar/bleach/water mix to really clean the crud. :)

@casportpony Kathy, I have a bottle of PenG in my fridge. It has the same amount of units per ml, 300,000 as does this Agri Cillin bottle the OP listed. It is also Pen G. I would imagine its the same stuff, same dosage as any other Pen G?

I give .5ml to birds 4 to 7 pounds. (I belive the dosage is .1ml per pound of body weight) I would say a bird twice this size would be .75 to 1ml? Kathy is the expert on exact dosages. :)

Last edited:
@casportpony Kathy, I have a bottle of PenG in my fridge. It has the same amount of units per ml, 300,000 as does this Agri Cillin bottle the OP listed. It is also Pen G. I would imagine its the same stuff, same dosage as any other Pen G?

I give .5ml to birds 4 to 7 pounds. I would say a bird twice this size would be .75 to 1ml? Kathy is the expert on exact dosages. :)
This is when it would be really helpful to have a vet to talk to. All of my books suggest that a five pound hen should get 0.76 ml.

My math
Books say 100 mg/kg
Bottle - 1 ml of 300,000 IU/ml = 297 mg
5 / 2.2 x 100 / 297 = 0.76 ml

Given what the books say, and that all *oral* penicillins are at least 125 mg/kg, I do think that the books are correct.

I was just editing my last post. I believe Pen G dosage is .1 ml per pound of body weight.

Back
Top Bottom