Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
Dang, the teflon-coated bulb thing is sneaky...I know how sensitive cage birds are to teflon fumes from household pots and pans, but never would have suspected a teflon coated bulb! Great detective work, gang. So sorry this happened to you OP, but thanks very much for posting about it--it will no doubt save many, many other birds.

For safe coop cleaning and mite killing I've found that a hand-held household steamer like the ones made by Scunci are fantastic for using on the coop--NOT ON THE CHICKENS, it'll kill them--since it uses only steam (no chemicals) and the steam gets into the nooks and crannies that mites hide in. First I shoo out my chickens and make sure they cannot get near the steamer, then I start with scrubbing and removing any poop and dirt, then go after the roosts, nest boxes, etc. with the steamer. It comes with a hose and various nozzles and attachments so I can get everything cleaned and sterilized. The steam doesn't soak things and they dry quickly. Kills mites and eggs, they can't develop a resistance to it like they can to chemicals, and works every time!

Does the type of paint matter? Oil based? Latex? Solid stain?
I used a exterior latex paint. However, I found this & it's about the same cost of the good quality paint I used & possibly better & safer.
image.jpg

Finally I get to the end so I can post something. I've been reading this thread from start to finish(just now). I wanted to say something all the way through but, knew my post would be held for the end.

I profoundly wanted to extend my thoughts re:problem and support for the Op. But now that things are so much resolved and upbeat :celebrate:ya:wee:clap:woot:yesss::bow I'll just skip to AMEN. What a tearjerker of a story, what a great cast of supporting Bycers, and wonderful OPs that persisted through all of this. This is BYC at it's very best- Bless you all.

It seems like that might make it easier to wash as well...a less porous surface for the (celac? squishy poops?) to soak into. I'd love to know the answer. I'd paint it this summer and keep them in the run for a few days to let it air out.

I painted my first roosts with an exterior stain - it was easy to remove those and wash them often. But when they wore thru the paint, I now find it a lot easier just to use unpainted 2x4's and remove/replace them when they get grungy:)

Does the type of paint matter? Oil based? Latex? Solid stain?

For the inside walls of my coop I used left over inside Latex paint - it washes easy - my original coop was built 5 years ago and the inside wall paint still is looking good.

I read somewhere years ago that mites do not like painted surfaces so folks were painting the roosts and interiors of their coops. Would anyone know about that?
I don't buy it(disclaimer-I hate to paint-prep is the worst but most important part).
Paint, if properly purchased prepped and applied will make cleaning easier
(I'm not much on that kind of cleaning either),
but mites hide in the cracks and crevices where two pieces of wood meet, don't think it matters if the wood is painted or not, unless it's a lime wash 'paint', or crack is filled and thus eliminated by being full of paint. JM2C.

For safe coop cleaning and mite killing I've found that a hand-held household steamer like the ones made by Scunci are fantastic for using on the coop--NOT ON THE CHICKENS, it'll kill them--since it uses only steam (no chemicals) and the steam gets into the nooks and crannies that mites hide in.
Great suggestion. It isn't one I've seen before but sounds like an easier and chemical free way to kill off mites.

I don't buy it(disclaimer-I hate to paint-prep is the worst but most important part).
Paint, if properly purchased prepped and applied will make cleaning easier
(I'm not much on that kind of cleaning either),
but mites hide in the cracks and crevices where two pieces of wood meet, don't think it matters if the wood is painted or not, unless it's a lime wash 'paint', or crack is filled and thus eliminated by being full of paint. JM2C.

For me the worst place is where the roosts are attached to the walls - lots of dust always collects there, removable roosts helps, but it is hard to keep that area cleaned out.

Back
Top Bottom