Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
He's definitely not gentle- I'm guessing he weighs 15 lbs too.
15 pounds??? What breed of mutant chicken is he? Even Jersey Giant roosters don't weigh 15 pounds.

If he is a desirable breed you might find someone looking for a rooster of that breed. Sadly, most of the time roosters don't go to "live your natural 'years long' life here" homes.

Aaron, it was an honest mistake. Neither you or Alice should beat yourselves up. This issue raises the concern to me that teflon bulbs are sold and used. They may not be lethal to people, but, IMO the chicken, and the pet birds that they do kill are like the canaries in the coal mine. They alert us that there are invisible toxins being released by hot teflon.
X2

Integration can be accomplished - it isn’t too difficult as long as you don’t attempt to reinvent the procedures that have been shown to work over time. Here is a link to my thread regarding my integration of 6 younger pullets to a cockerel and pullet 2 months older. The procedures would apply to your situation.
Integration

15 pounds??? What breed of mutant chicken is he? Even Jersey Giant roosters don't weigh 15 pounds.

If he is a desirable breed you might find someone looking for a rooster of that breed. Sadly, most of the time roosters don't go to "live your natural 'years long' life here" homes.
He's a partridge cochin. We had 4 jersey giants and he was 3-4 inches taller than them.
He is similar to this one:
cochin.jpg

Integration can be accomplished - it isn’t too difficult as long as you don’t attempt to reinvent the procedures that have been shown to work over time. Here is a link to my thread regarding my integration of 6 younger pullets to a cockerel and pullet 2 months older. The procedures would apply to your situation.
Integration
We did integrate the 2 buff orpingtons to the rest of the flock when they were about 3-4 months old. I kept them in an x-lg dog crate inside the run for a little while, then the others got used to them being their enough that they no longer pounced on them when they were mingled. I just worry about him squishing a smaller breed.

Back
Top Bottom