Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
Noticed an unanswered question about what the lamp looked like. Search google. It appears that "safety coated" or "shatterproof" bulbs are to blame here.
This is what the bulb I had looked like- though not the actual culprit.

Attachments

• 79612E30-F57A-474F-96B0-AE5D80FA12AF.png
    79612E30-F57A-474F-96B0-AE5D80FA12AF.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
This is what the bulb I had looked like- though not the actual culprit.
I would like to know where that "250-Watt" (not yours) standard(?) was established in the first place. I could see brooding 50-100 chicks in a large area with a bulb that hot suspended high. Some of us smaller flock raisers use a spare room/bathroom, and 250-watt is overkill.

I almost bought one but the sales associate said that would fry them. I chose a lower 125-watt bulb and that was still too much trying to brood a dozen day-old fuzzy butts in my bathroom, so it had to be suspended more than two feet over their enclosure.

Bulb-01.jpg

@AaronandAlice, I say a prayer for you every day. For some reason, this thread really struck a nerve with me and deeply disturbed me, but hoping many others will be educated and benefit from your particular situation and thank you so much for bringing this to our awareness. I've read about Teflon before years ago but long forgotten, but who would have thought?

Again, so sorry for your misfortune with loss of hens and home at this time of year. I hope you all rebound and get back on track. Spring will be here soon and hoping it will be brighter days for you all. --BB

Last edited:
I would like to know where that "250-Watt (not yours) standard(?) was established in the first place. I could see brooding 50-100 chicks in a large area with a bulb that hot suspended high. Some of us smaller flock raisers use a spare room/bathroom, and 250-watt is overkill.

I almost bought one but the sales associate said that would fry them. I chose a lower 125-watt bulb and that was still too much trying to brood a dozen day-old fuzzy butts in my bathroom, so it had to be suspended more than two feet over their enclosure.

View attachment 1233677

@AaronandAlice, I say a prayer for you every day. For some reason, this thread really struck a nerve with me and deeply disturbed me, but hoping many others will be educated and benefit from your particular situation and thank you so much for bringing this to our awareness. I've read about Teflon before years ago but long forgotten, but who would have thought?

Again, so sorry for your misfortune with loss of hens and home at this time of year. I hope you all rebound and get back on track. Spring will be here soon and hoping it will be brighter days for you all. --BB
Thank you. I am very much looking forward to spring. It’s actually my favourite season. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom