Seven spray?

blackswamp

Songster
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
NW Ohio
I had to spray half my Pine trees with Seven for Spittlebugs & Bag worm. So I blocked off this area so my chickens stay away from those pine trees. My Question is how long do you think I need to keep them away from these pine trees with the Seven sprayed on? Then I need to spray the other half of my Pines.

Thanks
Jeff

When you treat chickens for mites or lice you not only dust the chickens but you dust the nests and coop. I once asked a chicken expert (he teaches poultry science at one of the top poultry science universities in the country) how long the withdrawal period for the eggs should be after you dust the nest with Sevin before you can eat the eggs. He said there is no withdrawal period. You can eat the eggs immediately.

I think that would apply to what you are talking about, but I’d feel uncomfortable doing that. I’d certainly keep the chickens away while I’m spraying. I’d absolutely not want them out there until well after it dried.

I found a little information on Sevin online, actually Carbaryl, the active ingredient in Sevin:

Does carbonyl affect wildlife?
$ Carbaryl is practically nontoxic to birds such as ducks, quail, geese, and pheasants

Carbaryl has an average half-life of 3.2 days on plant leaves

I don’t think you are going to find anything official that says there are any problems. You can always contact your county extension agent and ask. They should be able to get that info for you. From what I know I’d probably just keep then out the next day and then let them go, but that’s just my personal opinion. I have no medical expertise to make my opinion mean anything more than anyone else’s.

Thanks for the reply's. What I did was fenced off the area that I sprayed for two weeks. we got some rain during that time so I think they should be ok.

I thing that I have learned is a chemical company will not give you a defendant answer. What I mean is if you spray your trees or some idiot sprays your lawn by mistake they will not tell you when it is safe for your chickens to be back in that area.

Thanks
Jeff

It takes a lot of expensive testing in order to legally call a product safe; each species and situation must be tested separately. BIG BUCKS must be spent, and the company must see a return on investment, or the testing isn't going to happen. It's safe for chickens, but kills most insects, including honeybees and other beneficals. Mary

Back
Top Bottom