Several chickens with different ailments

I notice a common thread running through all of your afflicted chickens - symptoms of mold ingestion, not enough to kill them outright, but tiny amounts possibly, such as they would get by nibbling something that has mold on it. A spoiled spot on a piece of fruit that they found on the ground, or a scummy puddle, or a moldy leaf. Just enough to set up a toxic reaction and cause yeast to start growing in their crops.

The crooked neck symptom could be from wry neck, but since more than one has it, it would be more likely yeasty crops.

The limping can also be from mold ingestion, a mild lameness which is also a symptom of mold toxicity.

To treat the multiple chickens, the easiest way is to substitute copper sulfate solution for their regular drinking water. Or you can treat individually with miconazole.

You do need to do some sleuthing and find the possible mold source to be sure this won't be an ongoing problem. It doesn't take much mold to trigger yeasty crops.

I notice a common thread running through all of your afflicted chickens - symptoms of mold ingestion, not enough to kill them outright, but tiny amounts possibly, such as they would get by nibbling something that has mold on it. A spoiled spot on a piece of fruit that they found on the ground, or a scummy puddle, or a moldy leaf. Just enough to set up a toxic reaction and cause yeast to start growing in their crops.

The crooked neck symptom could be from wry neck, but since more than one has it, it would be more likely yeasty crops.

The limping can also be from mold ingestion, a mild lameness which is also a symptom of mold toxicity.

To treat the multiple chickens, the easiest way is to substitute copper sulfate solution for their regular drinking water. Or you can treat individually with miconazole.

You do need to do some sleuthing and find the possible mold source to be sure this won't be an ongoing problem. It doesn't take much mold to trigger yeasty crops.
I wondered about that because it seems that mold grows easily here. This is why we never leave any feed out and only buy 1-2 bags at a time. It has been wet and rainy here and added pea gravel into their run to keep it as dry as possible, and has helped a ton. I've seen mold growing under some of our pines but the only chickens that hang out there are the Liege and Bruges fighters, which (knock on wood) haven't gotten sick. We have multiple feeders and try to not put them in the same spot every time to prevent caked up spillage. Where do I get copper sulfate from and how much do I use per gallon? Is this something beneficial to sprinkle in the run from time to time to prevent mold?

Make sure they are eating a balanced chicken feed, and use the vitamins for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. Were your chickens vaccinated for Mareks disease? Could they have eaten any spoiled or moldy feed? Is the rooster sneezing often every few minutes, or just when he eats or scratches around? Look for bubbles or foam in his eyes, nasal drainage, gasping, or swelling of the face. It may just be dust or feed, especially if it doesn’t happen every few minutes or have the other symptoms. If you lose a chicken your state vet can do a necropsy, and you would then get a diagnosis.
I know for sure the majority were vaccinated. I know that chicken #4 wasn't and I'm assuming that chicken #3 wasn't either. As for moldy feed, we take the feeders in every night. Our area seems to grow mold fast though. There is spillage from them eating but I try to move the feeders around to different spots in the run so there is no buildup of that to prevent mold. I haven't seen any mold in the run. It was wet and rainy so I added more pea gravel to the run to keep it dry. I feel like the sneezing chicken mainly does it when eating but does do it on occasion when not eating. Nothing wrong with his eyes, no nasal drainage, or swelling of the face. He does open his mouth to breath sometimes. Doesn't sound like he's gasping or anything though. As far as I'm aware, the closest place to me to do the necropsy is 2 hours one way and at least $200. I'm hoping I can bring them back to health though lol.

Copper sulfate can be ordered online. https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Sulfa...refix=acidified+copper+sulfate,aps,220&sr=8-3

In its crystal form, it's extremely toxic to chickens. They must be prevented from coming into contact with it in the dry crystal form. No, it may not be casually broadcast over the ground. It can be used in water containers to prevent algae from forming. As long as copper sulfate is dissolved in water it is very safe for humans and animals to drink.

For the purpose of treating yeasty crops and also to prevent yeasty crops.
Stock solution :
1/2 cup copper sulfate penhydrate crystals.
1/4 cup vinegar
1 qt water

Mix this stock solution at 3 teaspoons into one gallon water. Have as the only source of drinking water for about a week.

Never give chickens the dry crystals.

It helps to first treat the yeasty crop of a chicken first with an Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) flush. Mix one teaspoon of Epsom salts into one ounce water and have the chicken drink it all or syringe it into the crop.

Avoid using copper sulfate in winter as it can trigger out of season molt.

And even better crop flush, and this is especially helpful if vent gleet is suspected, is tubing a solution of Epsom salts into the crop twice a day for three days. One teaspoon Epsom salts to half a cup of warm water. Tube it all into the chicken’s crop 2x a day for 3 days. This will flush the yeast out of the digestive tract.

Copper sulfate can be ordered online. https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Sulfate-Pentahydrate-Pounds-Dissolve/dp/B005KECPOA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=EVVN8I0P4H5C&keywords=acidified+copper+sulfate&qid=1666636479&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjk1IiwicXNhIjoiMS4zNyIsInFzcCI6IjEuMzUifQ==&sprefix=acidified+copper+sulfate,aps,220&sr=8-3

In its crystal form, it's extremely toxic to chickens. They must be prevented from coming into contact with it in the dry crystal form. No, it may not be casually broadcast over the ground. It can be used in water containers to prevent algae from forming. As long as copper sulfate is dissolved in water it is very safe for humans and animals to drink.

For the purpose of treating yeasty crops and also to prevent yeasty crops.
Stock solution :
1/2 cup copper sulfate penhydrate crystals.
1/4 cup vinegar
1 qt water

Mix this stock solution at 3 teaspoons into one gallon water. Have as the only source of drinking water for about a week.

Never give chickens the dry crystals.

It helps to first treat the yeasty crop of a chicken first with an Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) flush. Mix one teaspoon of Epsom salts into one ounce water and have the chicken drink it all or syringe it into the crop.

Avoid using copper sulfate in winter as it can trigger out of season molt.

And even better crop flush, and this is especially helpful if vent gleet is suspected, is tubing a solution of Epsom salts into the crop twice a day for three days. One teaspoon Epsom salts to half a cup of warm water. Tube it all into the chicken’s crop 2x a day for 3 days. This will flush the yeast out of the digestive tract.
Thank you so much! I just ordered it and will be here tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom