several chicks from different hatches with unabsorbed yolk and red protrusion

lbogner

Chirping
Mar 22, 2020
Hello, I have come to love hatching since this spring. I have 2 chicks that hatched today (both from same parents) I did not help them hatch at all. When the first one was born it had a small amount of what looked like yolk attached to a thin thread, I thought "That looks weird but is probably okay." That chick also looked VERY wet to me, beyond what I'm used to seeing. There were two other hatchlings in the incubator at the time the problem one hatched by the way. I saw them trying to eat that yolk looking blob and then they were pecking the newly hatched baby in the rear. The umbilical area and thin thread detached from the small yolk blob so I thought all was well. After about 10-15 minutes I saw a big blob of bloody stuff in a sack protruding from the rear of the chick. It was growing larger. The others who hatched fine and look healthy, were pecking at it, I took them to the brooder and left the one with protrusion in the incubator. Now it is walking around, appears normal except for this blood clot looking thing sticking out of the backside of it which is now drying out .

A while later a second chick, from same parents, hatched and it seems very sleepy and sluggish. it seems to want to lie on it's bakc.
Ive just noticed that it too has a small area of the behind which looks to be sticking out of it. Nowhere near as bad as the first one. It doesn't look like a blood clot on that one, It looks like a tiny bit of protruding vent maybe.

Now i'm pondering because last hatch I had one chick with little to no yolk absorption. I'm pretty sure that chick had same parents as these. It looked so odd like a little skelton chick with no belly and skinny little legs. It made it 3 days and was looking strong before dying suddenly. I'm now thinking that one had same parents as the two described in my first paragraph. So my question is, could this be indicative of something wrong with the parents? Could this be related to something happening during incubation like temp, humidity, or other? Or anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? Thank you for your help

If my humidity gets too high, I will get chicks with part of the yolk sak not absorbed, just lost a chick to this same thing. hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom