Several feedings per day??

I'm sorry, that sounded really female doggy. Didn't mean it that way.
sad.png

But they really do eat all the time, and the stronger eat first so I've found it's best to leave food out all the time.

Also hens that are producing eggs need an amazing amount of feed to keep up with the production. I always think of them as high performance machines so they need high octane fuel. They're not like cats and dogs that can have one or two big meals and be good for the day. They naturally eat all the time.
smile.png

My gals get fresh salad with spinach ,mixed greens,fish, wild bird scratch.also they free feed grains from the health food store,about 9 diffrent kinds,the salads etc. are fed 2 x day.They clean the dish each time.They are in good health and weight,and I get eggs each day.The birds are 9 months old .My question is do you think I'm feeding too much? Forgot to say they freerange also.

Last edited:
I have always just fed all of my chickens free choice. I fill the feeder up nightly and they eat when they like. Because they eat/drink small amounts at a time, I think it helps to have it out all the time.

For my day old to six week old chicks I keep the feeders filled up. After that I fill the feeders up in the mornings and when they go to in for the night. I have some that doesn't even bother to eat in the mornings. They prefer to eat once a day. It is there if they want it. There is feed left over quite often when it comes to when I put down the night time feed..

I've started feeding mine 2-3 times a day. I give them some good grass to nibble on but whenever they see me, they come running because they know I bring them goodies
lol.png
It's best to have at least some feed in the feeder so no one goes hungry throughout the day, especially if your birds aren't free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom