Several hens with progressive paralysis.-Help

I would research Mareks in your youngsters or Lymphoid Leukosis in the case of your older hens. These diseases are very similar. I would also recommend sending a bird from each age group for state necropsy. This will give you a definitive answer and hopefully a treatment method if one is available for what you're dealing with.

We had to cull our little hen today. Nothing seemed to help. Now I have two more that are looking droopy and one with a boil on her back. I am not sure what to do. We are going to disinfect the coop again today. Thanks everybody for the advice.

Marek's usually starts with a leg and usually is not going to show up in multiple age groups at the same time. If it is their heads that are droopy first- you need to look at diet (what are you feeding), toxin access- describe plants, area they are kept, insects being fed? Water source?
Botulism certainly could look like this- usually from eating maggots or rotten food. Mold toxins- could look like this- usually from moldy feed- look at your food bins/scratch bin ect.
Also ANYTHING that makes them weak could look like a droopy bird. ANEMIA from coop mites (check your coops well after dark with a flashlight- look for moving red and grey dots on the walls, perches, birds). Severe internal parasites- have a poop sample checked by a vets to confirm, or just deworm them all. Severe external parasites- lice ect.

When you say nothing helps- what have you actually done besides remove them from the flock?

In Texas- A&M has a poultry extension
http://gallus.tamu.edu/extensionprograms/index.htm

Mereks or Asperil (forgot how to spell it AGAIN - googleing in other window....) - ASPERGILLOSIS! Got it!

Both will cause simular symptoms. Both can lead to death. Newer chicken people don't even know about aspergillosis --- but they do know about Mereks because of hatcheries asking to vaccinate or not.

Both cause tumors... in Aspergillosis they are refered to as "nodules" and thos tumors form on the spine and in the lungs - as well as other places in the body.

I'd tell you to google it, try to find a vet. Your state university vet school should be able to help you with chickens.

Yesterday evening, one of my oldest hens (7 years!) was in her yard unable to stand, looking quite droopy. I've put her indoors in the coop, in her own cage with lots of hay, water and food. She did eat pellets this morning. She sounds so sad; little chirps!
sad.png
The description I just read fits my hen to a "T". When I picked her up to get her in the cage, I thought she seemed too warm. I asked her if she has a fever; she just chirped. I guess I'll go off to the local supply store in hopes there is something liquid I can give her; maybe some broad spectrum antibiotic. I have no experience; you can see I am just a hobbyist. But suffering is no good.
idunno.gif

Her head set is fine. Her weakness is just showing in her legs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Also a possibility. Mereks is not the only disease to cause leg problems.

I KNOW I just lost a bantam rooster to Aspergillosis... it spreads by fungi spores and once he had passed it was confirmed. There was fungus growing in his mouth. Google it. His very first symptom was loss of the use of his legs.

Back
Top Bottom